Going for CISSP

ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi :)

I have 5 years of IT/IS experience, and am currently working for F5 Networks in the security field, aiming for CISSP.

My plan is to start with the Shon Harris book "CISSP All-in-One Exam guide 6th Edition", "CISSP prep guide", and "CISSP for dummies" with no deadline set to finish it, I will be using most of my free time for it and from other certification experiences I am very committed to what I do and and I believe this is how it works best for me.

I have skimmed through many TE topics on CISSP prep guides to get the clue of what to use for my studies, and other than that book I will refer to the available online material.

I would love to hear more thoughts on study materials, strategies of people here.

Thanks and I hope next year I will be looking at this post and I will have the CISSP under my belt already :)

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Best bet is to go through the "Passed CISSP" threads as many have thoroughly documented their study plans. See what common elements they have, check them out, and decide what works for you. In my particular case I planned on using the AIO as my primary source but quickly discovered the overly verbose style was not for me. Ended up switching to the Conrad Study Guide as primary, supplemented by the AIO, OIG and Conrad's 11th hour.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AIO is indeed verbose.
    I am using some online blogs, AIO, 11th hour, CCCure paid subscription and CISSP for dummies (which I already read it cover to cover)
    also found some very informative **** sheets which will help me tons
    I'm currently on a 6~ hrs study per day schedule and aiming to take it on October 6th this year.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I would guess that NIST Special Publications are used quite a bit as references for (ISC)2 exam items, so don't forget those.

Also, Eric Conrad has two full CISSP practice exams available on his Website.
    Well, happy to see I achieved it much less than expected. I passed CISSP today.

Resources:
    CISSP prep guide
    CISSP All in One by Shon Harris
    CISSP for dummies
    Eric 11th hour
    Sunflower pdf

Quizzes:
    CCCure
    Transcender
    McGraw Hill
    Total Tester
    CISSP gold

Major thanks to cgrimaldo from the forum and others from the here, it was not an easy task to achieve in less than 2 months.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • shanestyleshanestyle Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

We use your BIGIP devices...

Which resources did you find most helpful/ more relevant to passing the exam? I am working my way though the Conrad CISSP study guide now.
    Expect wrote: »

Resources:
    CISSP prep guide
    CISSP for dummies
    Eric 11th hour
    Sunflower pdf

Quizzes:
    CCCure
    Transcender
    McGraw Hill
    Total Tester
    CISSP gold

Major thanks to cgrimaldo from the forum and others from the here, it was not an easy task to achieve in less than 2 months.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Expect!!! You took care of business :)
    shanestyle wrote: »
    Congrats!

We use your BIGIP devices...

Which resources did you find most helpful/ more relevant to passing the exam? I am working my way though the Conrad CISSP study guide now.

My recommendations:
    Shon Harris for when youre lacking information on a certain topic.
    CISSP prep guide is good.
    Transcender and McGraw are very good for practices.
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • redterrorzredterrorz Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wow! that's dedication!!! GL
    AIO is indeed verbose.

I'm currently on a 6~ hrs study per day schedule and aiming to take it on October 6th this year.
  • EasyPeezyEasyPeezy Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Brilliant... well done...
    Thanks everyone :)
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I haven't been reading through this subforum. Late congrats Expect.

You listed many resources, which ones do you really recommend? Any favorites? I've heard different reviews with regards to Sharon book, some say it's too detailed, what do you think?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

I would drop CCCure and cissp for dummies, all the rest were necessary.
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A late congratulations on your pass. Thank you for sharing your study resources.

Resources:
    CISSP prep guide
    Eric 11th hour
    Sunflower pdf

Quizzes:
    Transcender
    McGraw Hill
    Total Tester
    CISSP gold

Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My recommendations:
    Shon Harris for when youre lacking information on a certain topic.
    CISSP prep guide is good.
    Transcender and McGraw are very good for practices.
    To which "CISSP Prep Guide" are your referring? Do you mean the Official ISC2 Guide or this one:
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would drop CCCure and cissp for dummies, all the rest were necessary.
    Interesting that you say to drop CISSP for Dummies. I haven't read it yet (based on your comment, maybe I shouldn't), but I've heard others rave about it.
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
    Well, it's subjective after all.
    teancum144 wrote: »
    To which "CISSP Prep Guide" are your referring? Do you mean the Official ISC2 Guide or this one:
    Exactly the one in the link
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    teancum144 wrote: »
    Interesting that you say to drop CISSP for Dummies. I haven't read it yet (based on your comment, maybe I shouldn't), but I've heard others rave about it.

I read it but it wasn't even remotely in-depth enough to prepare me for the exam. I used it as an introduction to each domain. I could have skipped it entirely, but since I had it, I figured I might as well read it too :)
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...