CISSP Boot Camp vs. Self Paced?

Naught1Naught1 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
With a 5-year System Administrator background, and working towards certs for Network+, Security+ and CEH in the next few weeks off, is a boot camp style course a realistic preparation for the CISSP exam?

Or is a slower approach, taking time to drill the material several times (self-paced online and textbooks) be a more reliable way to prepare? The boot camp sales people are fond of quoting high pass rates, but does that include almost blank slate people like me?

Have you done a boot camp with very little prep, and regretted it?

Admittedly I'm impatient to cram in the knowledge through a boot camp, but am wary of that as a study tactic. I just don't have much certification experience to go on yet to judge my readiness for a boot camp, and don't want to waste money or time.

Comments

• EasyPeezyEasyPeezy Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bootcamps are usually death by Powerpoint.... If you have no prior knowledge of the subject... you are likely to stop assimilating anything by the end of the first day... If you have read the book prior... it will pan out to be a revision course and fill in the gaps in your study.

If you must do a bootcamp, take the exams shortly afterwards.
  • Naught1Naught1 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks EasyPeezy. That confirms my suspicion that a boot camp is really intended as intensive review, instead of fresh presentation. I had a similar impression of the demo videos from a few sources, that they were gunning through power points in order to mirror the ISC2 content. Which is too bad, since it's an opportunity to animate some concepts into more digestible content.

If I were to study up a storm then top it off with a boot camp, then it would be worth it?
  • EasyPeezyEasyPeezy Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Naught1 wrote: »
    If I were to study up a storm then top it off with a boot camp, then it would be worth it?

That is surely the way to go...
    If you are not a fan of reading.... get a CBT to ease you into the topics. Depending on your experience... you will find some domains easier to read than others. You might want to read those domains first to boost confidence.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've heard of boot camp experiences coming down to the quality of the instructor. Most are 8 hours long and cover all the material in 5 days with the test on a Saturday. 40 hours over 5 days is enough time to cover the material, however, I don't think it is enough to LEARN the material. A lot of people I know that have used the boot camp approach didn't study prior to going and (I'm guessing) figured they'd learn the material through the boot camp alone.

I didn't have the money or time to use a boot camp, so I self studied a variety of books and practices and I sure as heck studied for more than 40 hours. I passed on my first time via this method and I've known people who have failed using the boot camp method. However, some boot camps offer a guarantee that you'll pass (meaning you can re-attend...not sure if this includes the voucher).

IMO, self study first, and if you're not feeling the smallest bit of confidence in your understanding of the material, look into boot camps.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    I've heard of boot camp experiences coming down to the quality of the instructor. Most are 8 hours long and cover all the material in 5 days with the test on a Saturday. 40 hours over 5 days is enough time to cover the material, however, I don't think it is enough to LEARN the material. A lot of people I know that have used the boot camp approach didn't study prior to going and (I'm guessing) figured they'd learn the material through the boot camp alone.

I didn't have the money or time to use a boot camp, so I self studied a variety of books and practices and I sure as heck studied for more than 40 hours. I passed on my first time via this method and I've known people who have failed using the boot camp method. However, some boot camps offer a guarantee that you'll pass (meaning you can re-attend...not sure if this includes the voucher).

IMO, self study first, and if you're not feeling the smallest bit of confidence in your understanding of the material, look into boot camps.

I'm also going self paced, may I ask how long did you actually study before taking the Exam?
    and how much field experience in the infosec field do you have?
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I cracked open my books around November of 2013, but didn't really get serious (2-3 hours a weekday, 5-6 on Saturdays) until the start of March 2014. I studied up until the day before my test date on April 14, 2014. I had about 6 years of info sec experience at my test date.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Would look at getting your "feet wet" and obtain the CompTIA certs first. Those exams are a breeze compared to CISSP. As far as a bootcamp vs self study, that would depend on your lifestyle. If you have kid(s) and a S.O., then take the bootcamp if you can to avoid distractions. If you are single and can focus and have the time, then self study. It's a very humbling exam IMO. I only started to crack down a few weeks before hand once I scheduled my exam.
  • Naught1Naught1 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, kiki162, that's kind of what I'm doing. Network+ work is underway. But...I'm really doubting whether the Security+ cert is worth getting. I mean, I'll do the work to study for it, but think I'll skip the cert and go right into CEH or CISSP prep.

After starting a self-paced CBT for Network+ through a Career Academy subscription - which I have very mixed feelings about- I don't see how a boot camp only approach for CISSP would make for any lasting learning. It would be good for review, provided the boot camp allowed for assessments and a practice exam.

It's insane how wide the price spread is between the subscription+mentoring models of CBTnuggets and Career Academy, through the TestOut option, all the way on up to the Infosec Institute and Sans Institute programs. I mean for just CISSP alone, the spread is several thousand dollars.

jvrlopez points out that there's a pass guarantee from some of the boot camps- true- but what I've seen is just an offer to retake the class for free in case you don't pass.

Thanks for your input!