Options

Brocade BCVRE exam - anyone take it?

NetworkEng756NetworkEng756 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm taking advantage of the free training and 170-010 exam voucher for the Brocade Certified vRouter Engineer:

https://community.brocade.com/t5/Brocade-University/Free-NFV-Certification-Offer/ba-p/61534

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this exam? I haven't found many people talking about it. I've used the Vyatta router, done the training, and read the nutshell, so I'm thinking I'll be able to pass with only 51 questions and a 62% score required.

My question is about the format of the exam. I haven't taken a Brocade test, are they all multiple choice? Sims? Matching? I can't seem to find info on the types of questions on this exam. Even Cisco at least tells you the types of questions. :)

Also, is this CCNA-level? It seems almost CCENT from the exam objectives and training...

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm interested. I just can't remember my Brocade password, lol.
  • Options
    muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    Hi Network Eng .

BCVRE Exam format is similar to other Brocade exam. Multiple Options-select one or more.
    It contain some drag and drop type questions also .

Questions are straight forward , Not like Microsoft's :)
  • Options
    KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    Anyone have some practise questions for it?
    Obviously there will be no hardware related questions as this is a virtualisation exam, am I right??
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Krusader wrote: »
    Anyone have some practise questions for it?
    Obviously there will be no hardware related questions as this is a virtualisation exam, am I right??

I really want to dig into this because I signed up a couple weeks back, it looks like there's quite a bit of material for the online class.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    The online class is about 5 hours total. If you already have the CCNA then you already have a lot of the knowledge covered. You just need to translate that in to the command syntax that the vRouter has. What I would recommend you do is download the vRouter and go through the install and configuration a few times, similar to practice you may have done for the CCNA. The command syntax and router config are completely different than Cisco, so you need to have hands on with it in order to pass.

I was able to pass after going through the free videos, reading the Nutshell doc they provide (60 pages I think), and gets some hands on with the eval router download. All in all I spent about 2 weeks studying.
  • Options
    Hi Network Eng .

BCVRE Exam format is similar to other Brocade exam. Multiple Options-select one or more.
    It contain some drag and drop type questions also .

Questions are straight forward , Not like Microsoft's :)

Thank you!!!
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm going to end up taking this for fun. I can easily blow through 5 hours and play around with a VM. I don't see Brocade out there too often but I don't see it hurting to have more knowledge about their products.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I'm going to end up taking this for fun. I can easily blow through 5 hours and play around with a VM. I don't see Brocade out there too often but I don't see it hurting to have more knowledge about their products.

I'm also going to hop on this at some point after tomorrow, from what I have seen Brocade tends to make their online course material really well so I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    I'm finding that once you finish all the Web Based Training modules, you can't launch them again to review. Any one else having this issue?
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    I was wondering if anyone had already booked the exam as well, do we do it straight through PrometricVue's site?
  • Options
    Yes, you do it through VUE. There is a voucher code in the pdf that's in the first training module
  • Options
    I'm finding that once you finish all the Web Based Training modules, you can't launch them again to review. Any one else having this issue?

I did not have this issue. If all else fails, sign up again under a different email address
  • Options
    Yes, you do it through VUE. There is a voucher code in the pdf that's in the first training module

Thanks for the heads up, this is exactly what I wanted to know.
  • Options
    Was able to re-register for the course with the same account. Book the test for next Friday also
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    i just found out about this on twitter...so the class and exam is free? what are the pre-reqs for it? you have to download some images, but im not sure what to download. they give 3 options. also, is there a demand for this certification? is it mainly for fiber? i know we use brocade switches for fiber connections at work. It is commonly used in big Oil and Gas companies. I don't have a CCNA though, so i might not pass it. Deadline is Sept 10th to take the exam.

Free NFV Certification - For a Limited Time
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think Brocade is the bee's knees. Just takes some getting used to with the CLI syntax and they way ports are tagged/untagged vs trunk/access. You can generally just '?' the command out if you aren't familiar. They even support CDP. What?? And they have their own proprietary FDP that will show the CDP results in it. Etherchannels are link-aggregates. Some subtle differences, but I feel like it's less forceful than cisco CLI. Show commands can be done at any configuration level without having to do the 'do' command in front. My personal experience with brocade has been pretty good. Hell, they even sent out their youngest Architect (I think he was 26 O.O) to give us a class in Korea. Pretty cool.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    very odd, i launched the class(SDN BCVRE Course Intro) and a window pops up, but it is blank.
  • Options
    xSpeTzxSpeTz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you go to the Brocade Training Portal and then going to My Transcript, you can relaunch the modules if you click actions->view learning assignments.
  • Options
    Passed the exam today. Just followed the BCvRE in a Nutshell, the web based training and fooled around with the vRouter. Did 3 weeks of study and didn't do any test questions. It was a my 1st network exam in 2 years so it was a good refresher.
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Nice! I'm taking it tomorrow at 8:30. I've gone through the nutshell guide and web based training. It didn't seem overly complex so unless there are some serious curveballs on the test, I don't anticipate it being too difficult.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Passed the exam today. Just followed the BCvRE in a Nutshell, the web based training and fooled around with the vRouter. Did 3 weeks of study and didn't do any test questions. It was a my 1st network exam in 2 years so it was a good refresher.

Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    cbabfatcbabfat Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I knocked this out today, 82%. Pretty easy stuff. I never used the product before. Downloaded VMware workstation trial, installed the product, and had at it. Did a little custom network on the VM adapters, added more than one also for more versatility. I watched all the videos and took detailed notes. Read through those. I copied all the questions from the training and used those as study guides. ALSO a huge thanks to Iristheangel for her notes. They were great too and it was another person's perspective. Total time: 3 weeks and I barely touched it this last week. I would guess I put in 20 hours.

Chris
  • Options
    Congrats
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    adikeshavadikeshav Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed BCVRE with 91% , easiest IT cert of all.. 2 weeks prep time.
    I had a dream i was king .Woke up , Still kind:cheers:
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    adikeshav wrote: »
    Just passed BCVRE with 91% , easiest IT cert of all.. 2 weeks prep time.

That's why Brocade certification gets no respect here in Silicon Valley - even though they're located in San Jose. 65% pass rate is horrible when they provide all answers (cost too!) and just want to lock vendors proprietarily. icon_cool.gif It's all good though; make that money! Are you going after the Converged Internetworking track since you have BCvRE and BCEFP?

*BTW, I'm taking the BCvRE in a couple weeks too*
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    adikeshavadikeshav Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Fuz1on,

Sad to know that brocade certifications are losing its value. Some years back the BCNE was one of the top paying certs!

and Yes. I am not looking forward to put time on brocade certs unless they are free and are related to my areas of interest.
    I had a dream i was king .Woke up , Still kind:cheers:
  • Options
    mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    Took the exam yesterday and passed it with 90%. Invested roughly 20 hours in this having solid networking skills already..
    All in all a good experience and for free its always welcome.

Best regards,
    m.
  • Options
    christianrodriguezchristianrodriguez Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    M,

Was the exam all multiple choice or performance-based questions? I am curious to know.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973

You would be surprised. It's used often on state/research networks.

Edit- I just realized this thread is pretty old...
    meh
  • Options
    M,

Was the exam all multiple choice or performance-based questions? I am curious to know.

Thanks,
    Chris

Exam is all multiple choice questions. Passing score is 60%
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge