Migration Process

davidoffdavidoff Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, How can I practice the Migration process, I already set up the WinServer 2012, I am having a problem with the Source computer, Should I install Win2003?

Comments

• davidoffdavidoff Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I tried to create a folder, to the other computer, which has WinServer 2008r2 operating system, but the error told me that I don't have the permission to do it, I am just confused, I am doing this in a Virtual Environment
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    davidoff wrote: »
    Hi, How can I practice the Migration process, I already set up the WinServer 2012, I am having a problem with the Source computer, Should I install Win2003?
    Explain to us what exactly you are trying to do. You've mentioned Server 2012, 2008R2 and 2003. What OS are you migrating from and to what? What roles are on the server?
    If it's a DC you are not going to be able to migrate it. I would just spin up whatever you are migrating to, transfer the FSMO roles and decommission the old server.
    davidoff wrote: »
    I tried to create a folder, to the other computer, which has WinServer 2008r2 operating system, but the error told me that I don't have the permission to do it, I am just confused, I am doing this in a Virtual Environment
    How are you trying to access this "other" server. Make sure whatver account you are using has god mode, ie, Domain admin && schema admin. Make sure your user account is a member of the local Administrator account on both boxes. While logged into box A. Open up the run command (Windows + R), type in \\BoxA\c$. Input credentials. Once validated, do what you have to do.

I hope you aren't doing this on a production environment. God help your users.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • DyasisDyasis Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Explain to us what exactly you are trying to do. You've mentioned Server 2012, 2008R2 and 2003. What OS are you migrating from and to what? What roles are on the server?
    If it's a DC you are not going to be able to migrate it. I would just spin up whatever you are migrating to, transfer the FSMO roles and decommission the old server.

How are you trying to access this "other" server. Make sure whatver account you are using has god mode, ie, Domain admin && schema admin. Make sure your user account is a member of the local Administrator account on both boxes. While logged into box A. Open up the run command (Windows + R), type in \\BoxA\c$. Input credentials. Once validated, do what you have to do.

I hope you aren't doing this on a production environment. God help your users.

tprice5, I believe he is trying to practice the migration upgrade from an older server to a fresh server 2012.

In my book it says nothing that you can not migrate a DC...

"By using the migration tools, administrators can migrate certain roles, features, shares, operating system settings, and other data from the source server to the destination server running Windows Server 2012. Some roles require the use of the migration tools, whereas others that have their own internal communication capabilities do not."
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I was thinking he was trying to upgrade for some reason. By the way I described moving the FSMO roles, migration is understood.
    Good catch.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2