Raspberry PII : DHCP server, is it possible?

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

so I'm thinking of solving a problem I have... icon_bounce.gif

I would like to make a DHCP server for my 4 Cisco 1262 AP's at home but they need a DHCP to allocate IP's.

I've looked into the Raspberry PII; and the Ubuntu Server 2014 is about 3 GB's in size so it would fit on a SDMicro card.

I mean I know this is a bit crazy, but do you think it would be possible? ... this way I don't need to keep a R610 operating so a VM can allocate IP's, i'll just use a raspberry....

thoughts? ... too ambitious?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is possible to use Ubuntu as a DHCP server. Maybe this is what you are looking for? Setting up your Raspberry Pi as a DHCP Server - eLinux.org
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I'm using Pi's for much bigger stuff, so yes the hardware can support that usage.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    I'm using Pi's for much bigger stuff, so yes the hardware can support that usage.

How enlightening, like what else can this little toad do?
    It is possible to use Ubuntu as a DHCP server. Maybe this is what you are looking for? Setting up your Raspberry Pi as a DHCP Server - eLinux.org

thank you sir!
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Tons and tons of stuff. I'm using ones placed around the country to run network tests.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Yep, but you can also do the same with the most basic 17xx series router (like these as they run at about 12watts of power).
    No need to keep a full R610 up just for DHCP :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personal I would not run the full unbuntu server just for DHCP, there are much lighter weight DHCP servers that will run under the standard rasbian OS on the Pi.

one of my pi runs DHCP / DNS / Torrent client / Media server and serves files with out issue. It would make a great DHCP/DNS low power home lab server. It also works great as a VMware / Citrix thin client. :)

I have only once logged in to the GUI on a PI, you learn far more about Linux if you learn the CLi, and find after a short learning curve you can do much more much quicker.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    this is awesome feedback; thanks guys!
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    anam600 wrote: »
    I think, it is not possible.

I think this guy is on to something... waiting for more :)
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used a RP as DHCP / DNS / NTP and LAMP server lol ...

DHCP is a piece of cake for it - although a waste really ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    DHCP is a piece of cake for it - although a waste really ..

If my crappy router can do DHCP, then I would imagine a RPi could and some..
    I think they are pretty cool little devices. I don't have a real need for one right now but when I get back stateside I would love to get into some home automation and set a few of these up around the house to perform tasks here and there.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My gameboy can do DHCP pftttttttttttt :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    Bought 5 of the Raspberry PI's (2 are DHCP/DNS servers, 2 are Ubuntu Server 14.04, and one is being used as a RDP client); have them hooked up to the KVM switch in the rack; it's pretty neat what you can do with them....

if only you could stack two Raspberry PI's together and/or jack the memory to 1 to 2 GB's....

pondering an idea to use a 8 inch touchscreen with flexible keyboard and use it in my car. My car has a USB port you can tie into the BCM. Just imagine I could tie into my car's computer. :P ... I already re-programmed my BCM to match for the re-programmed ECM/TCM since my car is now a 93 octane car from 87 so pretty much everything has been modified; she's made the tune since 95k miles and she now has 148k on her. 282 HP baby on a car that was 229 HP. icon_bounce.gif
    Deathmage wrote: »
    pondering an idea to use a 8 inch touchscreen with flexible keyboard and use it in my car. My car has a USB port you can tie into the BCM. Just imagine I could tie into my car's computer. :P ... I already re-programmed my BCM to match for the re-programmed ECM/TCM since my car is now a 93 octane car from 87 so pretty much everything has been modified; she's made the tune since 95k miles and she now has 148k on her. 282 HP baby on a car that was 229 HP. icon_bounce.gif

The one failing on the Pi is its poor audio, even with an external usb audio card its not great, other wise I would have married one of mine to a touch screen for a complete in car computer system.

My home routers is on its way out so I am looking in to replacing it with a Pi. Question will be how much through put can i get if it can beat 50mbs then it is faster than my internet link and would be a really flexible solution.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    The one failing on the Pi is its poor audio, even with an external usb audio card its not great, other wise I would have married one of mine to a touch screen for a complete in car computer system.

My home routers is on its way out so I am looking in to replacing it with a Pi. Question will be how much through put can i get if it can beat 50mbs then it is faster than my internet link and would be a really flexible solution.
    Well yeah, the audio will suck due to the limited power the pi draws. You should try using a active inline amplifier.

Also what router do you use at home at the moment, I went full out and just bought a Asus RT-N66U for my own network and a Asus RT-AC66U for everyone else's stuff at home.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    It's not the power, the sound circuit is not protected and there is no RTC so the audio out is pretty awful. you get a horrendous back ground hum and lots of artifacts. The only way to over come it is to use a external sound card which by the time you get a half decent one susceptible for music play back you could get a purpose built car computer mother board.

As for home router I have used every thing from a BT home hub to a CISCO 1841, the idea for using a Pi is not because I can't get any thing else, just like the idea of it as a project. Quite like the idea of a TOR router at home as well, and any thing else I can think of to play with.
    I don't see what effect an RTC would have on PWM and audio..? I do see how noise from the power can effect it though.
    Getting There ...

I have no idea why I typed RTC in my last reply, I assume I was thinking of some thing else but mind wandered to other issues with the Pi, as not having a RTC raises other issues when wanting to create a standalone car computer system.

anyhow Quality of the Raspberry Pi onboard sound | Crazy Audio shows an [FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]oscilloscope trace of the on board audio out, and having tried it as a bubble uPNP render in to a stereo I know the sound is awful,

Mind you the other thing about a Pi is that its not that fast if you run any GUi session on it, having one in the car and you would end up spending more time looking at it rather than the road, and probable smash it in frustration before to long.
    [/FONT]
    Yeah, they're pretty slow. I used to run CUPS on mines but my router acts as my print server now.

That link shows how ridiculous the distortion is lol
    Getting There ...