Options

GCIH Questions

vonoventwinvonoventwin Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I'm going to take the GCIH in about 4 months to try and obtain my IAT Level III for the DoD. I almost passed the CISSP, but missed with a 694. I tried the CISSP again, but the test has changed a lot and I failed it again. I really think by having an open book, it would have really push me over the edge. So I think I'm going to try the GCIH. My questions:

1. How many books are you allowed to take in?
2. Should I index one particular book or all of them?
3. OnDemand training or Live Instructor led? (Dont care about cost)

What are the best books to start studying? I already read about Counter Hack Reloaded. I am ready to buy them and start my studying now. Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    laughing_manlaughing_man Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1) You can bring an average sized bookbag, briefcase, etc full of books. But I will tell you all you will need are the textbooks SANS gives you. There are 6 for the GCIH and they are hefty. You will not need any other books than those.

2) Index them all. The test material is taken from all the books so you will need to have read and indexed them all.

3) I have done both and preffered OnDemand. But both are great. Its up to you.

Ed Skoudis' books are a great read before you take the class, but again SANS will give you all you need to pass.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ agree. There's nothing like the official courseware. Counter Hack Reloaded helps a bit, but since the exam is built based on the course, that's what you should focus on.
  • Options
    Thanks! If I decide to register for an Instructor led, will they ship the books to me early or will I have to wait to get them the week of the class? I'd like to spend a couple months with the books before going to the class. If not, I think OnDemand may be my way to go. Thanks again!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Also realize that open book exams are more difficult than their closed book equivalent. If you have access to all of the exam materials then they need to make the exam items more difficult. Rely too much on the materials at hand and you may run out of time during the exam.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Also realize that open book exams are more difficult than their closed book equivalent. If you have access to all of the exam materials then they need to make the exam items more difficult. Rely too much on the materials at hand and you may run out of time during the exam.

Absolutely. However, if I can do the test without books, then check some answers with the time left, I think I'd be able to pass. If I could have looked up 2-5 questions on the CISSP that would have put me over. Trust me, I won't be relying on the books, but I think I'll feel more confident knowing I can look at something by using a really good index I make. My biggest thing is I want to start studying right now... So how can I get the SANS books? Do I just register for the OnDemand and they'll ship them? If I register for an instructor led will they also ship the books 3 months before the class? Thanks!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    OnDemand they ship the books to you. For instructor-led courses you pick up the books on-site the day or day before the first class.

An alternate method might be borrowing the books from someone who has already taken the course.