I feel comfortable but what is "comfortable" and how do you know when you're ready.

newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I have been reading Darrils book and watching the videos from professors messers youtube. I have to say everything is really really good. I even bought Darrils practice test book.

I have one more chapter to go in the study guide and I think I am ready to take the test, I feel quite comfortable with everything that I have read. But the practice tests I take in both the study guide and the practice test book I normally score an 80-85. I'll get about 2-5 questions wrong at the end of the chapter. Is that would you'd consider OK, Terrible, or don't worry about it take the test?

I just took a 100 question practice test online and got 14 questions wrong, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if it were in the single digits.

I guess my question is how do you gauge yourself on the practice tests and how do you know when you're ready?

I want to get this cert ASAP.

Comments

• redterrorzredterrorz Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if I can get 90% or better on every test I can touch (minimum 3), then I feel I am ready.
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Online practice tests are good, but I have found more than a few questions to be flat wrong over the years. I personally have used transcender practice tests many times and like them.
  • newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the Security+ sample questions off there site and they were worded differently then the practice tests I have been taking. I was wondering are those sample questions for the 401? Also they don't make SENSE. I actually hate them, I had to read them about 5 times over and slowly.

I am going to schedule the exam for next weekend or the week after. I really do feel like I know my stuff especially the Network Security and Cryptography aspect of the test as I have worked with it for 2 years.
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    You can pretty much take every practice test under the sun, but you will know you are ready when you can go through the Exam outline/objectives and be able to explain and describe every point without needing to reference something.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • OhsupOhsup Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Vask3n wrote: »
    You can pretty much take every practice test under the sun, but you will know you are ready when you can go through the Exam outline/objectives and be able to explain and describe every point without needing to reference something.

This is how I feel to. Most practice tests are way to easy, and often will give you a false sense of readiness.
  • newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just finished darrils book and took the exam at the end. Finished with an 87 out of 100. I noticed that some questions I got wrong I read them too quick and some I just didn't really comprehend but I know the whole concept. I finished the book over a course of 1.5 weeks. I am going to skim a few parts that I need to brush up on and view some videos and probably take the tests in a week or two. Anyone with tips that have similar study experience please fill me in :)
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say when you're scoring 80 - 90% on practice exams you're ready. A lot of times you know more than you think you do.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you can go through the exam objectives and explain them, then you should be fine. One way I used to study was to make posters on brown paper (think NUMBERPHILE) and then explain them to my fiancé. This worked really well and at one point I would hang the posters on the walls in my mancave and spend 10-15 minutes each night reviewing them.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance