Help understanding if CCNA, Linux + or LPIC or MCSE suits me better

Treylmoore83Treylmoore83 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would really like to get back into the IT field. Only certification I acquired was the Comptia Network + and I understand a lot about windows vista, 7 and 8. I as well have installed linux mint 17 on my Dell desktop and done some studying on Linux + exam which is pretty complex as far as the learning curve. I had worked in past doing help desk for Xbox live and cable technical support for about 4 years and I blew a opportunity I had several years ago to get into cisco job lacking a lot of the skills and I regret it everyday. Looking for some help and guidance on how to get back in IT. I have lots of customer service experience and call center line of work. Working with problems is what I do. I'm looking for a fast track back into the IT career field in Texas and hope it gets me to a level of $20 hr or around $45-$50k yearly to begin. As far as learning what appeals to me is web hosting and Apache, working in video game industry and a bit of networking or to be a server administrator. What certification whether it be Cisco CCENT or CCNA, Linux + or RHCSA or MCSE suit me better for a faster start in a IT role and I want to start off around $45-$55k a year in Texas.

Comments

• arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Considering you seem to show more interest in systems it would appear you'd be happier with some windows support/admin work. It sounds like you have more experience with windows to capitalize on too, as opposed to networking where you might have some of the concepts down, but with no job experience on it you might have a hard time finding a position even if you get your ccna. None of that really matters, as you'll be most successful doing what you enjoy, so don't try to shoot for a dollar amount, but spend some time in deep thought figuring out where you want to go. You might have to take a basic entry level role to get your foot in the door and from there figure out more what you want if you get exposed to different technologies.
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223

Considering you seem to show more interest in systems it would appear you'd be happier with some windows support/admin work. It sounds like you have more experience with windows to capitalize on too, as opposed to networking where you might have some of the concepts down, but with no job experience on it you might have a hard time finding a position even if you get your ccna. None of that really matters, as you'll be most successful doing what you enjoy, so don't try to shoot for a dollar amount, but spend some time in deep thought figuring out where you want to go. You might have to take a basic entry level role to get your foot in the door and from there figure out more what you want if you get exposed to different technologies.

I agree with this and have to add that maybe the MCSA / Windows route would better suit your goals. On top of this 45K-55K seems pretty heavy for someone with very limited experience and background. I wouldn’t plan on getting that kind of salary with a few added certs. Your biggest issue right now will be getting back into IT.
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would also recommend pursuing systems administration. MCSA and some Linux knowledge would definitely help you land a job.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Treylmoore83Treylmoore83 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It feels as if Microsoft is losing the appeal of being a good tech and those skills seem to not get you noticed as fast as Linux or a cisco certification. I find linux difficult but I still run linux mint and fedora at home on pc desktops and have interest in working in a NOC or data center role. Maybe working with web servers. What would fit best to learn for me and where did you guys learn and use as tools for studying to get where you are now?
  • Treylmoore83Treylmoore83 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is MCSA and MCSE still a high demand certification. Seems that I see more want of linux skills or CCNA level in most job post I look at? I want to be more unique as a candidate with a lot to offer so I can demand a higher pay and not entry level. I have interest more to work in a NOC or data center or with web servers etc like Apache. Microsoft just is easier to me then linux but CLI with Cisco isn't to bad. What will help me the most