IT exams cost

apollookcapollookc Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi! I have a quick question: is there a low cost (up to $50) IT exam through PearsonVue (with or without discount voucher)? Just curious.

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No, you are looking at certification in the wrong way. That cheap cert will suddenly become expensive when no will recognize it.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    IT Certifications are not cheap, there is no certification less than $250.00 that have value.

- CISSP ($595.00)
    - CCFP ($545.00)
    - Cisco CCNA (~$300.00) in 2007, CCNA was $125.00
    - GIAC (~$1,000.00/each)
    - ISACA (~ $450.00 - $750.00)

Most of IT professionals I know that give themselve a small budget for IT certification per year, for example maximum is $2,000.00. In that $2,000.00 you'll get out about 2 or 4 valueable certifications.

As for me, this year I use it for CISSP, CISA, and CCFP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you pass the Juniper JNCIA-Junos Pre-Assessment you will receive a voucher code for a 50% discount. That will bring down the exam price to $50.

I attended a Juniper User Group and received a code for a free voucher.
  • apollookcapollookc Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all your inputs!
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IT certifications are covered for free, pass or fail, if you qualify for Chapter 33 benefits under the VA ;)
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm confused, what is your goal here? To obtain any random IT cert as long as it's less than $50? If so, why? icon_confused.gif:
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take a look at this thread.
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
  • apollookcapollookc Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    I'm confused, what is your goal here? To obtain any random IT cert as long as it's less than $50? If so, why? icon_confused.gif:

I'm sorry if my question caused any confusion. A close friend of mine (which has very limited IT skills) insists on giving exams for his first certifications. I know for a fact that he will fail (due to different reasons that I prefer not to mention here) so I was wondering which exam would have the least financial loss in case of failure. I assume that his best bet would be to find a reduced price voucher (jaywalker thank you for the hyperlink!).
  • arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    IT certifications are covered for free, pass or fail, if you qualify for Chapter 33 benefits under the VA ;)
    Not really free considering they do deduct from your benefits.
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    apollookc wrote: »
    I know for a fact that he will fail

Ouch...that's pretty harsh bro. This person could not possibly pass any IT cert that they attempt? That's a pretty low show of confidence in your "friend"
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft does the Second Shot program from time to time (I'm not sure if they are offering it right now, but I used it back in January). It lets you retake an exam for free if you don't make the first attempt. I'm definitely glad they had it, because I definitely didn't pass 70-642 the first time!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...