SQL in alot of Job Postings

ZfamilybizZfamilybiz Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
How would you obtain experience in SQL and what is the nature of how it is used on the job? I have been seeing a ton of job postings with it. Would it be covered in like a database class?

Comments

• pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Zfamilybiz wrote: »
    How would you obtain experience in SQL and what is the nature of how it is used on the job? I have been seeing a ton of job postings with it. Would it be covered in like a database class?

See this link

In all seriousness, it depends on the job. But as with anything it cant hurt to know the basics. Download it, install it. Use command line to create and query dbs and tables.
  • ZfamilybizZfamilybiz Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I have done programming in school but not SQL. I hope it isn't hard to learn on the job.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've noticed that alot of job posts in the UK are also asking for 'experience' in SQL, I have some experience of SQL along with installing it and basic database admin but as pinkydapimp says it is always good to learn more when possible, especially by using it!
  • zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    Typically the jobs will want you to be able to query a database. Some HD positions they want them to also act as production support techs. This means you would be running scripts that other people wrote.

A database class would likely teach you enough for most entry level jobs.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    SQL is pretty easy if you have a programming background.. most languages will work. It's more the learn how to type in a "logical" way.
    You know... find X if Y = Z

If no programming experience, then I suggest just browse some videos online and DL freetds, workbench, dolphin or something and get familiar with it.
    meh
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been asked about it in almost every interview for sysadmin work and security. I tell them I can setup databases, backup, and do basic queries, joins, selects, etc. I'm in no way a DBA, they've always been happy with that, be able to find your way around. If you want to actually be a DBA that's another story altogether.
  • NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I've been asked about it in almost every interview for sysadmin work and security. I tell them I can setup databases, backup, and do basic queries, joins, selects, etc. I'm in no way a DBA, they've always been happy with that, be able to find your way around. If you want to actually be a DBA that's another story altogether.

Same story here. Most folks conducting interviews are not going to grill you on the ins and outs of SQL provided you can regurgitate some key terms. The job postings are all typically very soft on requirements, so its difficult to prepare beyond some generalized prerequisites. If the hiring manager was actually serious about some hard core SQL skill, they should mention a certification requirement. That would also require some degree of preparation on their part, so its not going to happen anytime soon on any measurable scale.
  • PrefluxPreflux Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my experience (I'm in the UK) every job I've gone for has asked for experience in SQL. Even though I'm knowledgeable with different forms of SQL, I've never once been asked anything complicated in a job interview. They're always pretty happy when they realize you can do basic queries.

Saying that, my current role asked for SQL knowledge as a plus and I don't use SQL in my daily role. I'd definitely learn it though, it seems HR teams love it.