Ideas for at home IT projects

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
In a couple weeks, I'm going to be beginning my first professional job! Yes! While I cannot begin on these projects until the 1st of the year due to my online class is not done until December and I'm also trying to pass the Security+ (after passing both the A+ and Network+ this year) by the end of the year, I'm looking for some IT projects that I can do to enhance my knowledge and for fun too. The certifications that I am thinking about going for in 2015 are the Apple Support Tech and Google Apps because I will be working in academic environment and where I may want to be for the long term. After those I'm thinking Windows and then Linux. Also cost may be a factor. When I say that, I would like to keep a project around $100-200

Ideas so far:

1. Build an Linux Firewall

2. Build a HTPC to replace the cable company DVR

3. Build my own NAS but I think buying one may be cheaper

Are there any other ideas out there?

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Build a web server and host your own site?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wanna look towards the future? Setup and Elasticsearch and Hadoop cluster. There is enough information online that you could easily set it up and begin working with it. Put that on your resume and you'll be gold!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Build a web server and host your own site?

Ive seen this mentioned a few times and like the idea but how do you overcome the IP address issue? Dyndns?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Wanna look towards the future? Setup and Elasticsearch and Hadoop cluster. There is enough information online that you could easily set it up and begin working with it. Put that on your resume and you'll be gold!

I checked some online job search sites and seen a lot of hits for Hadoop Admins, not that I am interested in pursuing this but I didn't know what a Hadoop Cluster is. Thanks for the information.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I've been looking at some interesting projects with Rasberry Pis'. This one popped up and I'm really intrigued by it:

MoccaPI

"Now I can ssh to my coffee machine to start it."

How many people can say that? lol.
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    I've built a few Linux Firewalls, mostly for play but it is fun and if you're interested I recommended checking out pfSense.. Also, I haven't tried it yet but I have a buddy who built his own NAS with FreeNAS and says it's great to work with.

https://www.pfsense.org/
    FreeNAS Project - Open Source Storage - FreeNAS Project
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tkerber wrote: »
    I've built a few Linux Firewalls, mostly for play but it is fun and if you're interested I recommended checking out pfSense.. Also, I haven't tried it yet but I have a buddy who built his own NAS with FreeNAS and says it's great to work with.

https://www.pfsense.org/
    FreeNAS Project - Open Source Storage - FreeNAS Project

i have actually run into both of these while supporting customers, the freenas was really easy to manipulate. The pfsense firewall was ok...it needed someone that new how to use it to make it great.

i would really suggest a project that gets you working with wireshark, pfsense and security onion. While these are not common in enterprise the idea behind them will translate into a good start and plenty of stuff to talk about during an interview. All are free and could be used in your home as well.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I set up a esxi server so I could play with different operating systems and work with active directory. I wish I had done it years ago. It's so much easier to try things when you can just add a quick server and see what happens. Now I just need to find enough time to play with it.

I host a web page on one of the virtual servers but I have not done anything with it yet. I am gonna try to set up an exchange server at some point.

Good Luck!