Certs on CV

Do you list all your certs on your CV or just the ones that are relevant for the particular job you are going for? I have the below but not sure if I should edit the list depending on the role.

CISSP
CISA
CISM
ISO27001 Lead Auditor
ISO27001 Lead Implementer
ISO27005 Risk Management
ISO27002 Foundation
CCSK
QualysGuard
COBIT 5 Foundation
COBIT 5 Implementation
MCSA
ITILv3 Foundation
A+
N+
MCDST
MCST Windows 7

Comments

• goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    I've always been of the mind that I customize my resume/CV to the job I'm applying for, leaving out things that aren't relevant to the position, but leave public profiles with everything (except the CIW certs, nobody cares about those icon_lol.gif). However, I think we do things differently across the pond. As I understand it a CV is a record of *everything*, isn't it? Here, we just do resumes that list the most relevant work experience and education.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really depends on the position I am applying for. But in most cases, I tend to exclude the following:

- All my vendor certifications (FJSE, FSE, SFCSE, SFCSE-AMP, SFCAR, SMCA, SIPSA, SFWA) from FireEye, SourceFire and McAfee (StoneSoft). I think the only vendor certification I would bother listing (if I had them) would be Cisco

- All of my entry level certifications (specifically for me, Net+ and Sec+)

- My one irrelevant oddball cert, which doesn't really pertain to my trade (CFOI - Certified Fiber Optic Installer)...thanks Air Force.

That pretty much leaves me with eWPT, OSCP, CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, CNDA, CEH, ECSA, CHFI.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nova the exception would be if you are applying for a position which desired experience in FireEye, Sourcefire or McAfee... I am sure you know that just pointing out for others.

Me - I am at the point where I would leave off lower certs such as Net+, Security+, but I have relevant, higher certifications for both, and I usually don't put MCSE down anymore (on 2003, and I haven't worked on servers in forever. (The exception is if it is an 8570 position, you have to meet IAM/IAT cert requirements, and have an OS cert.) Other than that, If it's not really applicable to the position, I would leave it off.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I'm really proud of the effort/time I put in to obtain all of my certs, not to mentioned I payed for all the materials and the exams myself (except for GSEC). So I list all of my certs on my resume....Though if I were somebody who had like 10 certs, I think I'd just pick and choose what was relevant to the position I'm applying for.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    If you are working with a recruiter, s/he will often tailor your resume or CV for specific employment opportunities, which often includes emphasizing certs, education, and experience the employer is looking for, and possibly removing information that recruiter believes will not be interesting to a specific employer.

I would list everything on your official CV posted on a public Web site (like LinkedIn), but allow recruiters to "clean things up a bit" as needed to optimize getting a specific employment opportunity.

Realize that leaving stuff off your CV or resume is not lying, but it can be considered misleading.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Realize that leaving stuff off your CV or resume is not lying, but it can be considered misleading.

Respectfully disagree 100% about it being misleading, I believe it to be the opposite.

I leave off the CIW certs along with the copper and fiber optic cable termination certs I picked up a long time ago. I am not interested in taking any sort of webdesign or installer role so I am not going to "mislead" anyone by advertising that I have those qualifications if I do not ever intend on accepting a job/contract in that area.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a thought, is it ok to add them like this in a line or two at the end of the resume:
    MCP in VB 6 (2002), A+ (2003), Network+ (2006), DHTI+ (2006), PDI+ (2007) etc..

So that they do not take space in the resume yet they are there if the recruiters are looking for them.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    JDMurray wrote:
    Respectfully disagree 100% about it being misleading, I believe it to be the opposite.
    So leaving information off your resume can never be considered misleading by anyone at any time? That's basically what you are saying.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    So leaving information off your resume can never be considered misleading by anyone at any time? That's basically what you are saying.

Correct. If directly asked yes, answer truthfully but you are not giving false, incorrect or misleading information by not giving a statement about a question you were never asked.

If you disagree where do you draw the line at being misleading?
    Is it misleading to leave off the the non IT jobs I held +15 years ago?
    Is it misleading to leave off that I graduated middle school?
    Is it misleading to leave off that I am CPR certified?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unless it's relevant and left off I don't see how it's misleading. Once I get experience I plan on removing irrelevant experience as long as I'm looking for technical non customer facing positions. If I had CCNA and looking for network engineer type positions I wouldn't list A+. It could reduce recruiters contacting about lower level positions and show the next level that you want to move up.

The less banter hr has to read could improve your chances. This concerns usa, not sure how it is in uk. I've read in some asian countries it's standard to put everything on their cv, 10+ pages is common.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)