Options

Lab Setup for MCSA 2012

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have the following hardware to use for setting up a lab:

Desktop PC: AMD FX8350 4 GHz with 16 GB RAM (Windows 8.1 Enterprise)
Server: Sunfire x4600 8 Quad Core 2.3 GHz CPU's with 64 GB RAM (8 GB per CPU module)
Routers and Switches: 3 routers and 1 Cisco 16 port switch

Study Materials: Plurasight Subscription and MS Press Training Guide Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 (Kindle Version)

I have a 30 meg cable modem that is connected to router #1. Routers #2 and #3 are plugged into router#1. All my home traffic is hooked up to router #2 and my test equipment is hooked up to router #3. That way they all have internet, but my home and test environments are separated.

For those that have completed the MCSA 20012 exams, how would you recommend setting up the lab?

Note: I have not been able to get ESXi 5.5 to run on the server. But I have Server 2012 Data Center evaluation and 2012 Hyper-V server.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think for the MCSA that's going to be total overkill. Most people use something like VMware Player, VMware Workstation, Hyper-V on Windows 8.1, or Oracle Virtualbox.

If/when you run into an issue with needing to set up a Hyper-V cluster, you can run a nested lab utilizing multiple Server 2012 R2 VMs with Hyper-V installed. ESXi supports this, and I believe VMware Workstation supports this as well. (VMware Player might even do it but I haven't tried it. Quick Google search would answer that one).

Hyper-V won't allow for nested Hyper-V machines, so no luck on that front. (I had to learn that one the hard way).

Plenty of options with modest desktop hardware. Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    bridgestonebridgestone Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is way overkill. Just run VirtualBox on your desktop. Only thing you can't do is the Hyper-V. I rote memorize for that.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stick with Hyper-v, I see no problems with your hardware it will make for a good lab. your network environment is overly complicated though, you would be better off with vLans which will help you to learn more.
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    netsysllc wrote: »
    you would be better off with vLans which will help you to learn more.

Tell me more about these VLAN's. I have heard of them, but have never set one up. The reason I used multiple routers it to make sure that my test network is completely seperate from my home network. I dont want them to see each other, can this be done with VLAN's?

For the other comments, I know this server is over kill, but I got it cheap and dont want to let it go to waist. I was thinking of loading Hyper-V Server 2012 and managing it from my Windows 8.1 computer.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Google the commands for adding VLANs to your switch and by default they cannot talk to each other.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    vLans can be complicated but you will have stuff on the MCSA exams that will touch on it, especially network access protection. Your router and your switch will need to support them, which most consumer grade equipment does not, and I dont know what kind of network hardware you have.

If you are unable to do vLans then two routers will suffice, just put your lab behind the second one.