subnetting worry

JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
Hi all, I have been studying for this test now for over a solid 4 months, 4 books down and messer videos done and now certmaster modules, practice tests galore. Where does it all end? I am really more concerned with subnetting as I just cant seem to get the solid grasp on it especially the A and B classes. Now i feel ready for the test except subnetting, what to do?
Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM

Comments

• oxymoron5koxymoron5k Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dude that is a lot of studying..You will be fine. For subnetting just keep working the problems out with pen and paper until you feel comfortable doing them. After that I would just go take the test. It seems like you have def put in the time.

Subnetting Practice Questions
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of people have different ways of doing it. Once it clicks for you, it will be super easy. As mentioned above, subnetting.net is a great resource. Look at some youtube videos and google a few sites.

Start writing them out by hand also. Challenge yourself and say, "Well I've got a subnet of 192.168.1.0 and I want to have around 12 hosts per subnet, what do I do?" Follow along with a tutorial and try to solve it. Once you do enough you'll figure it out and you'll love when you see a subnetting question on the N+ or Cisco exams as it's like free money.
  • JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Thank you to both of you for the support, really appreciate it. I have done tons of studying every single day for 4 months at nights after work and all weekend long. Starting to kind of get burned out but I feel like I have to get through my measureup and transcender before I go take the exam. just so afraid of failing for some reason. I have been getting around 88% to 96% on the measureup test though. I have looked at numerous subnetting videos on youtube and read various methods to it but just not sure what is easiest to understand it all.
  • cwshellhamercwshellhamer Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just do it all by hand and remember that formulas:

No. of subnets you need = 2^N where N is the number of bits borrowed NOT their value

]No. of host addresses available = 2^H - 2 H is the number of bits remaining.
    HAVE: A+
    Working on: N+, CCENT
    Associates Degree: Lincoln Technical Institute ( DO NOT GO!)
    Bachelors degree in progress: Computer Information Systems and Cyber security - Strayer University
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    Additional resource that was helped me: Subnetting Without Tears
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • romeo1808romeo1808 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It wasn't bad at all, My advice would be to keep doing practice questions and you'll start getting a hang of them. I was really worried about them too, but just passed my exams a few days ago, and they weren't bad at all. You'll do fine, with 4 months of studying
    Thanks again everyone for the help! I feel like I am pretty much ready. I just finished up the last modules in certmaster yesterday and now onto plowing through 436 practice questions on Transcender. I have been scoring around 96% on my measureup practice exams.
  • romeo1808romeo1808 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You'll kill it!! you're ready!!!
    Thanks romeo1808, wow these Transcender questions are not easy though. I think I will be ready to finally take this thing within a week or so then hopefully onto security+ then Cisco from there.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    James, you are worrying too much about practice questions and your score on them. It is good you want to learn to subnet correctly! Take a few nights and work through this, as for the rest, you need to strive for an understanding on the objectives. Can you explain the differences and similarities within the objective set? If you can, relax, spend a bit more time on subnetting and schedule your exam.

Use practice exams as a tool, not a crutch.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Well I don't know if u took the test yet or not but look. You don't need to know subnetting for n+ you MIGHT have one question on it. Understand the basics. Btw your more than ready to pass it.
  • anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    4 months for Network+ is more than sufficient time to clear this exam. Some would even say that it's an overkill..but whatever floats your boat. I think your boat will not only float it'll fly too! imho.

Subnetting doesn't get a lot of questions in this exam (atleast in my experience). Just have some basic formulas ready and you'll be good.

I am kind excited to see how much you score in the exam :o
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
    Hey guys sorry I didn't update this particular thread after passing it with a 777 on 12/12/14. I had studied this for about 4 months to pass it, reason I took so long was having to work full-time, plus family and a lot of other responsibilities but glad I passed and thanks for the support!! working diligently on Security+ now.
  • anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good on ya, mate !

Best of luck in Security+
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
  • mr.comfortablymr.comfortably Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just do it all by hand and remember that formulas:

No. of subnets you need = 2^N where N is the number of bits borrowed NOT their value

]No. of host addresses available = 2^H - 2 H is the number of bits remaining.

I am copying this down, because I am currently studying subnetting. Is it "2^H - 2, H is the number of bits remaining"? Just clarifying.

Thank you
  • mr.comfortablymr.comfortably Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jamesweb wrote: »
    Hey guys sorry I didn't update this particular thread after passing it with a 777 on 12/12/14. I had studied this for about 4 months to pass it, reason I took so long was having to work full-time, plus family and a lot of other responsibilities but glad I passed and thanks for the support!! working diligently on Security+ now.

Congratulations on the pass. Since you are the most recent person I have seen to take the A+ test. Could you tell me what type of questions you experienced, and where you felt the most weight was held? I have already downloaded the Comptia A+ Objectives pdf. Just want a real experience perspective.

Thank you