Where to start?

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was not sure if I should have put this here or in the Windows 8 section, but I have to take the exams (5 total) for both MCSA Server 2012 R2 and MCSA Windows 8.1. I want the certs, but they are also part of my degree plan.

The question I have is should I start with 70-410 or 70-687? I am guessing that 70-687 is easier, but I am not sure if I need to have a server (Domain Controller) in place to get the most of of 70-687.
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did not get a reply on this, so i thought i would bump it up and try again. Any thought on the above question?
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Depends. By passing the MCSA Server 2012 it may make things easier for the client exams as you will be working with things related to the clients being on a domain. However doing the server exams first may be a huge task in it self if you don't have much experience with Server 2012. It is really kinda a toss up. If I were doing it I think I would do the server exams first just because that's what I work with most. Then when I get to the desktop stuff there will be a lot of stuff like vpn, direct access, wds, dism, ipv6, and the like that you will already be familiar with. If you lab up the server exams then you will be setting up the backend and then testing it with client vm's anyways. I would highly recommend labbing for all the exams. That's my 2 cents anyways.
  • lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would start with 70-687. Start with the user interface and work your way back to the server. Not to say there is a right or wrong way to go after the certifcation. Eventually your going to have to both. Flip a coin, study hard, and knock it out. Good Luck
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could someone gain enough knowledge to pass if they only labbed from TechNet Virtual Labs and maybe some lab workbooks?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Could someone gain enough knowledge to pass if they only labbed from TechNet Virtual Labs and maybe some lab workbooks?
    Technet labs don't cover nearly enough and you would need to read a lot of the technet articles as well to prepare.

Labbing is necessary but it isn't everything, you still need to know some other facts which labbing alone won't cover.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks, I've decided to change to net admin path at wgu hoping that will include solid study material. MCSA 2012 would currently benefit me career wise but the lack of good books, disorganization at technet and powershell had me leaning towards cisco.

Are the tests more about doing things (labs, questions on what to do next, etc) or other specifics (speeds, what does this mean questions)?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Luckily there are a ton of study materials available at this point. When I got my MCSE 2012 Server Infrastructure, there was barely​ any study material. CBT Nuggets and a Hyper-V lab was about it.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance