Bash Invocation of non-login shells: Which configuration Files?

teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
According to the LPIC-1/CompTIA Linux+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide:
If you’re using a non-login shell, things are pretty straightforward. The bash shell simply runs /etc/bashrc for system-wide functions and aliases, and then it runs ∼/.bashrc from the user’s home directory for user-specific customizations.
However, according to the following: https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-Startup-Files.html#Bash-Startup-Files
When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, Bash reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists.
The above is in conflict. Does Bash execution the /etc/bashrc file prior to the ∼/.bashrc or not? What script could I look at to verify this?
If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Pretty easy to confirm... create an alias in one or the other and try to use it.
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Pretty easy to confirm... create an alias in one or the other and try to use it.
    I'm a little unclear? =) Would you mind providing a little more detail?
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's another source:
    An interactive nonlogin shell executes commands in the ~/. bashrc file. The default ~/. bashrc file calls /etc/bashrc.
    Sobell, Mark G. (2012-09-14). A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming (3rd Edition) (Kindle Locations 8353-8354). Pearson Education. Kindle Edition.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    teancum144 wrote: »
    I'm a little unclear? =) Would you mind providing a little more detail?

Create an alias in one of the bashrc files and try to use it under both conditions. One will fail and you will know which one works.