Got waiver for VMWare course pre-req, looking for best study resources ASAP

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
So through the partner status of my company, I was able to get authorization to take the VCP510 without attending a VMWare course, so I'm looking for good self study materials for someone who has absolutely bare minimum experience with VMWare products.

I mean literally almost no experience :)

I just got my laptop mentioned in a different thread for labbing once my SSD shows up to throw in there. Was wondering if anyone could provide experience of the time it takes, study materials, and any lab materials that will get me up to speed for this exam?

Looking to order some materials ASAP so I can get everything together and ready to rock after I get my voice exam out of the way. Any suggestions or experience appreciated as always!

Comments

• Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mastering VMware vSphere 5 by Scott Lowe
    CBT Nuggets/Pluralsight videos
    Nested lab using workstation (perhaps look at autolab)

I think that should cover you.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Trainsignal Videos are a bit more in-depth than the CBT nuggets, but CBT Nugget vSphere videos are great if you've never touched it before.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Exam blueprint and documentation from VMware and what everyone else said.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would go along with everyone else's suggestions here. Especially tstrip007's suggestion as I did not follow that one myself when I took the VCP.

The best CBT for the vSphere exam is VMtraining though, I used it for my VCP and it's brilliant stuff. It doesn't just focus on vSphere 5, but all of the previous versions before (if a feature has been around for a long time) and goes in depth on features unlike Pluralsight & CBT Nuggets. I highly recommend them. I'm looking to get a price on their VCAP training. It's expensive stuff though.

It's available at Career Academy and at VMtraining.net
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll be gathering the materials, as well as scheduling the exam tonight. Can anyone share their experience with how long of a time frame to study for this exam they took? I usually can fit some study time in at work, couple hours after work each day, wondering if 3 months from beginning to exam is a good study window?

I know it's a completely relative question for my schedule and habits, but wondering how others approached this from a time perspective.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It took me a few months to pass this exam, probably because I slacked off a bit here and there. 3 months is a decent to prepare for this, but that probably means studying 1-2 every day and possibly more on the weekend. Like with most other exams, labbing up the material is paramount. In addition, pay attention to stuff like maximum sizes of things and what can be used to achieve a certain goal. Wont delve further due to NDA.

Enjoy preparing, it's a nice exam to study for!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Thanks for the input on that, I ended up booking it for the end of June so I can study at a bit slower pace than my current study frenzy. Very excited to start this brand new path!
  • thornburywnthornburywn Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How did you get a waiver? Currently, we are a Solutions Provider Partner and it would save quite a bit of money since I'm doing this on my own.
    Your company needs to be a particular partner level to be able to get the waiver. Your VMware TAM/AM should be able to help with this query, have you asked them?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

I'll reach out to the TAM tomorrow to see if he knows anything. As far as partner level, we strictly handle high-volume enterprise, so I would suspect we get quite a few benefits, but not certain. Thanks Essendon!
    Essendon wrote: »
    Your company needs to be a particular partner level to be able to get the waiver. Your VMware TAM/AM should be able to help with this query, have you asked them?
    No problems, it'd be good if you could report back here to tell everyone what level you need to be at to be eligible for the waiver. I remember this being asked in a couple other threads too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Yeah, will do! When I get news, so will you... Hey, good luck on VCDX... One day, I hope to be at that same spot.
    No problems, it'd be good if you could report back here to tell everyone what level you need to be at to be eligible for the waiver. I remember this being asked in a couple other threads too.
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think the waiver was for Premier and possibly Enteprise partners, and might have been time-restricted too...

I would definitely suggest contacting VMware for confirmation.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If this is the case then I need to find out if my employer are a partner and if I can get on this! Would love a VCP certification!
  • ThechainremainsThechainremains Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    If this is the case then I need to find out if my employer are a partner and if I can get on this! Would love a VCP certification!

Same here.. Im trying to fast track a CCNA and then get the VCP by Feburary 28th..

But if i could take my time.. and not have to worry about that deadline.. that would save me a whole lotta trouble..

One thing i am having a hard time wrapping my head around is, if i am just 30 years old.. or even lets say 3 years from now.. 33 years old, why would any company pay me $100,000 a year at that age.. that's what's kinda making me reconsider if i should even waste time getting a VCP right now..
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same here.. Im trying to fast track a CCNA and then get the VCP by Feburary 28th..

But if i could take my time.. and not have to worry about that deadline.. that would save me a whole lotta trouble..

One thing i am having a hard time wrapping my head around is, if i am just 30 years old.. or even lets say 3 years from now.. 33 years old, why would any company pay me $100,000 a year at that age.. that's what's kinda making me reconsider if i should even waste time getting a VCP right now..

Age doesn't have to do with it as much as experience I'd say. A 30 year old who got his CCNA when he was 20 and kept progressing for 10 years could understandably make that kind of money IMO
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

I made $100k back in 2000 when I was 27 with 3 years of experience. Age is overrated. Experience is overrated. If you have the required skills and knowledge companies will hire you.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    This is what I got back from VMware... Of course, this is the standard reply I'd assume... I will draft a follow-up and possibly escalate.

Please be informed that VMware requires class in an effort to maintain the integrity of the certification by discouraging “paper” certifications. By requiring a class we can be assured that all VCP-DCVs have a minimum amount of hands on experience with the product. While we hope they would have much more than a class’s worth of experience with the product, this is the best way for us to ensure they have some.

We hope that anyone with an interest in VMware and our certification program will understand this and abide by our requirements.

Currently, we accept the following courses for VCP5-DCV:
    - VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.x]
    - VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V5.x]
    - VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.x]
    - VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V5.1]
    - vSphere with Operations Management: Fast Track

Class must be taken with VMware or one of VMware’s authorized training partners to be counted. All authorized classes are listed at www.vmware.com/certification.

For additional information, please refer to www.vmware.com/go/vcp for detailed requirements.

Also we request you to refer to the link https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=46346&ui=www_edu for more details regarding any promotions /discounts offered to the partners.

I hope this helps.
    Kindly revert for any further queries, we are always happy to help you.
    Have a great day :)

It is crazy that they stated "a minimum amount of hands on experience". I am not new to this field. I work on it day-in and day-out supporting one of the largest private environments. Just the virtual side is around 10k VMs and roughly 50k total inventory, not counting network equipment (which I don't touch)... I think they should take that into account.
    It's just about spinning money mate, that's all it is. VMware have made truckloads of cash with this crazy 'class' requirement. Anyways, it is what it is. They do make good products that keep us in employment and help us put food on the table!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Yeah I made $100k at 30 years of age too. Nothing to do with age like the others have said. A SAN guy at one of my previous places of work (4-5 years ago) made well over $100k/year at about 25/26. He pulls over $200k these days. If you have the skills, people will pay ya.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Knowledge is power/money :)
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's just about spinning money mate, that's all it is. VMware have made truckloads of cash with this crazy 'class' requirement. Anyways, it is what it is. They do make good products that keep us in employment and help us put food on the table!

I don't think a $5 Billion software company cares much about classroom earnings.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I may be nuts, but is it possible to have two Hosts on the same server just for lab purposes?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The term you're looking for is nested ESXi justFred. Plenty of docuemntation on it around, so I won't try to explain it all here. I have set it up before for testing things, and probably will here once I get my new ESXi box (do one physical, and then one virtual on my desktop to test things like vsan)
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    can you post the link where you got the partner waiver from please?
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    joelsfood wrote: »
    The term you're looking for is nested ESXi justFred. Plenty of docuemntation on it around, so I won't try to explain it all here. I have set it up before for testing things, and probably will here once I get my new ESXi box (do one physical, and then one virtual on my desktop to test things like vsan)

Awesome. I have a dell R710, am going to try it. Wow i'm excited
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    Haven't got that yet... During this Holiday period, it's been rather slow. VMware keeps giving me the run around but of course, it was just a level 1 customer support rep, who honestly probably doesn't know about this. If ande0255 would reply to this thread, he should be able to shed some light since he is the only person I know of that has gotten a waiver before.
    omi2123 wrote: »
    can you post the link where you got the partner waiver from please?