show route forwarding-table family mpls

DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
Hi all,

So ive been doing a bit of MPLS study lately using GNS and ciscos, and ive been looking at the corresponding commands for JUnipers (as we use them in work).

Now ive been trying to look at the LFIB on a juniper, and the way i think we'd do it is with the command:

* show route forwarding-table family mpls

I need a bit of clarification on the output and wondering if anyone can help.

(extract below taken from juniper website).

Destination Type RtRef Next hop Type Index NhRef Netif
299856 user 0 Pop 1346 2 ge-0/0/0.18

(the index in this case is number 1346 )

I am a little confused on what the index collumn is for when a label is being popped. I understand that as the label is being poped it will be sent as an IP packet, but what does the index reference?

Also am i right in saying in a scenario like this one below:

Destination Type RtRef Next hop Type Index NhRef Netif
ge-0/0/0.1 (CCC) user 0 3.3.3.2 Push 300064 1340 2 ae1.0

The index reference the label to be added to the mpls label stack.
(the index in this case is number 300064)

Any information at all would be great.

Thanks in advanced

Dan

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The index number is an internal software pointer for the next hop. You really won't ever need it unless you start hopping into PFEs and tracing packets out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    The index number is an internal software pointer for the next hop. You really won't ever need it unless you start hopping into PFEs and tracing packets out.

Thanks for the response

Am i right in saying that when there is a push on an entry in the table, the index refers to the label number that is being pushed on the stack?
  • tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    DANMOH009 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response

Am i right in saying that when there is a push on an entry in the table, the index refers to the label number that is being pushed on the stack?

No, the destination field, in your example 299856 refers to the label being pushed.