CISSP/SSCP Domains & Exams refresh

jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just read today that ISC2 are refreshing the domains & exams for both CISSP & SSCP, as of April 15: http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2015/01/maintaining-the-relevancy-of-isc²-certifications-cissp-and-sscp-credential-enhancements.html

Comments

• ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The domain names have been updated as follows:

CISSP Domains, Effective April 15, 2015
    1. Security and Risk Management (Security, Risk, Compliance, Law, Regulations, Business Continuity)
    2. Asset Security (Protecting Security of Assets)
    3. Security Engineering (Engineering and Management of Security)
    4. Communications and Network Security (Designing and Protecting Network Security)
    5. Identity and Access Management (Controlling Access and Managing Identity)
    6. Security Assessment and Testing (Designing, Performing, and Analyzing Security Testing)
    7. Security Operations (Foundational Concepts, Investigations, Incident Management, Disaster Recovery)
    8. Software Development Security (Understanding, Applying, and Enforcing Software Security)

Some candidates may be wondering how these updates affect training materials for the CISSP and SSCP credentials. As part of the organization’s comprehensive education strategy and certifying body best practices, (ISC)² training materials do not teach directly to its credential examinations. Rather, (ISC)² Education is focused on teaching the core competencies relevant to the roles and responsibilities of today’s practicing informationsecurity professional. It is designed to refresh and enhance the knowledge of experienced industry professionals.

Looks like this won't have a major impact on people who are currently studying this like me.
  • jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It appears if you take your exam before April 15 (which I will be), then the changes won't affect you at all.
  • voodoo26voodoo26 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i was reading exam outline. you can choose april exam outline

https://www.isc2.org/exam-outline/default.aspx
    2014 Goals CISSP COLOR=#008000]Passed[/COLOR, 2015 Goals CISM COLOR=#ff0000]June[/COLOR
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure if i will be ready for that date but if not i wonder should i just continue as is and then study the updated material when it comes out,surely all the material will not be redundant. Considering i just spent nearly 200 on the books only last week.
    I can't see your books being redundant. InfoSec information/technologies hasn't suddenly changed overnight. Everything you learn will still be relevant. It seems to me that they are simply recategorising the information. I would say keep studying your resources, and keep an eye out for a refreshed book.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    where does my favorite domain CRYPTO fit into these changes?
    where does my favorite domain CRYPTO fit into these changes?

Under Asset Security (Protecting Security of Assets) - https://www.isc2.org/uploadedfiles/(isc)2_public_content/exam_outlines/cissp-exam-outline-april-2015.pdf
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for that link.. seems as if the current topics are reshuffled and a few new bits added here and there. Now that there are 8 instead of 10 domains the test doesn't seem as scary as it once did. Good to see ISC2 changing with the times.
    Thanks for that link.. seems as if the current topics are reshuffled and a few new bits added here and there. Now that there are 8 instead of 10 domains the test doesn't seem as scary as it once did. Good to see ISC2 changing with the times.

It may be 8 domains, but I reckon it'll still be the same quantity of information. I'll sit the exam before the refresh, my first attempt. If I don't pass (and I really hope I do; I've put so much into this!), then I'll wait until the new exam is released and there's a book available before trying again.
  • cledford3cledford3 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not impressed at all. Seems like ISC(2) is making a lot of rapid changes these days. I'm starting to question whether to invest in this. I possess several other top tier credentials and have 15 years industry experience. I just started studying for the CISSP this past week and have spent a couple hundred dollars on (now) dated material. 6 months notice is reasonable - 3 is a joke.
  • michaelrapleymichaelrapley Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It looks as though they have reorganised the domains that the information is contained within. Not sure how much new information they are planning to introduce. It mostly looks the same.
    cledford3 wrote: »
    I'm not impressed at all. Seems like ISC(2) is making a lot of rapid changes these days. I'm starting to question whether to invest in this. I possess several other top tier credentials and have 15 years industry experience. I just started studying for the CISSP this past week and have spent a couple hundred dollars on (now) dated material. 6 months notice is reasonable - 3 is a joke.

Lets wait and see, i am in the same boat are you with regards just bought the books. It will prob serve well. Maybe they will tell us soon enough the extra material added or not.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Wait and see is right. Let's keep in perspective that the last time they updated the domains in 2012 the changes were minuscule. This could be cosmetic changes or not. We'll see.
  • mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    cledford3 wrote: »

Well i'm with you on this, I think they stress a little the changes due to the fact that they've seen a massive amount of people involving on the cert. I guess they suddenly wanted to align everything in order to be somewhat more factual to the today's threats.. Though of course, as with everything, i would never rely on a single sourced study material in order to pass an exam and i guess it will take some time for the community to align with the news. I bet we'll have Syngress/Sybex/McGrawHill new materials in a year or so... Which is what i'll wait for to get a go on the new exam or i'd pass it before 15th of april 2015..

Does anyone have some good explanation at what does this change for current CISSPs ?

Thanks,
    regards,
    m.
    So has anyone found out/read if their will be new material added or if it will be just a restructure of the books?