Help With HomeLab Switch connections

sagarmistrysagarmistry Member Posts: 108
Hey guys, new to networking. Studying for CCENT. Just got my switches and routers and working on switch configs right now. Starting from base and have no past background.

So I'm trying to connect two switches via crossover cable. switch one is cisco 3550 and switch two is cisco 2900 XL.

Now I'm following Jeremy of CBTnuggets. and I did the same configs he did to connect two switches. I left cisco 2900 untouched as he did. no configs on fa0/1.

But on switch one fa0/1 I made the following changes:

interface FastEthernet0/1
description TRUNKING PORT
switchport access vlan 50
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
speed 100
duplex full

Now here's the problem. I did shutdown port and no shutdown to turn it on.
But it doesn't turn on. it goes from administratively down to DOWN.

and on both switches fa0/1 the light doesn't turn on at all. tried working with diff ports same configs so i know ports aren't broken. have wasted whole day trying diff things but no luck. Hopefully someone here can help!

Thank you for you time!! smile.gif
ICND1 ---> 6th March

Comments

• mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ONe thing is your port is either access or trunking. **** the switchport mode access vlan 50. access ports is where you plug in your end user (host). Trunking is connecting to another switch

On the 3550 use the command switchport, then switchport mode trunk

Check status with show int fa0/1 (or whatever the port number is) switchport (sh int fa0/1 sw) and another command is sh int trunk

I'll let a guru take over from here
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am still learning Cisco, but we can try to troubleshoot together!

You can leave the int Fa0/1 in a separate VLAN (in your case VLAN 50). Although, it may not be 'Best practice' but from functioning point of view, it should work. Check sh int trunk and confirm that the interfaces (on both switches) are in Trunking mode. Also, it might be silly but just double-check the cable connection.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So I'm trying to connect two switches via crossover cable.

Use a straight cable!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 3550 supports either isl or dot1q for trunking encapsulation. you need to specify the encapsulation before you can make the port a trunk. which you did. The same applies to the 2900xl. So, the port on your 2900xl probably isn't trunking.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Use a straight cable!

Technically, aren't you supposed to connect "like devices" over crossovers? I know nobody actually does this because of MDI-X but technically, crossovers between switches are correct, yes?
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yup, had my logic reversed.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1st step on new switches no matter what. Then start over.

Switch#erase startup-config
    Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]
    [OK]
    Erase of nvram: complete
    %SYS-7-NV_BLOCK_INIT: Initialized the geometry of nvram

Switch#delete vlan.dat
    Delete filename [vlan.dat]?
    Delete flash:/vlan.dat? [confirm]
    %Error deleting flash:/vlan.dat (No such file or directory)

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]
    [OK]
    Switch#reload
    Proceed with reload? [confirm]
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • sagarmistrysagarmistry Member Posts: 108
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    1st step on new switches no matter what. Then start over.

[OK]

Switch#delete vlan.dat
    Delete filename [vlan.dat]?
    Delete flash:/vlan.dat? [confirm]
    %Error deleting flash:/vlan.dat (No such file or directory)

[OK]
    Switch#reload
    Proceed with reload? [confirm]

Woo. Glad to know so many of you replied.

Ok so taking your advice and just reloaded one of my switch. But the commands remain on my fast ethernet 1 and others i changed.

aren't those erase commands supposed to factory reset the switch ?? This shows me my banner created and asked me for username and pass i created. :/
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    I am still learning Cisco, but we can try to troubleshoot together!

You can leave the int Fa0/1 in a separate VLAN (in your case VLAN 50). Although, it may not be 'Best practice' but from functioning point of view, it should work. Check sh int trunk and confirm that the interfaces (on both switches) are in Trunking mode. Also, it might be silly but just double-check the cable connection.

Weird thing is when i put that command it won't show me any trunk ports :
    SWITCH_3550#sh int trunk

SWITCH_3550#show int
    SWITCH_3550#show interfaces trunk

SWITCH_3550#show interfaces trunk ?
    module Limit display to interfaces on module
    | Output modifiers
    <cr>

SWITCH_3550#

but i did change int fa 0/1 as trunk here : This is from my show run config:

spanning-tree mode pvst
    spanning-tree extend system-id
    !
    vlan internal allocation policy ascending
    !
    ip ssh version 2
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/2
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/3

any ideas ?
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    check to see if the config register is set to 0x2102 under the "show version command"
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
    check to see if the config register is set to 0x2102 under the "show version command"

on 2900 config register is 0XF

and on 3550 the main switch, config register is 0X10F
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    I remember doing this on an old 3550XL switch a long time ago. You had to rename the config.txt file to old then reload. I bought a switch on ebay and it never had the config cleared before. See if this gets you anywhere. Cisco Catalyst Fixed Configuration Layer 2 and Layer 3 Switches - Cisco
    The switch ended up being a L2 3550 which I didn't know at the time instead of a L3 switch. Ended up throwing $30 I the trash and lesson learned.
    I remember doing this on an old 3550XL switch a long time ago. You had to rename the config.txt file to old then reload. I bought a switch on ebay and it never had the config cleared before. See if this gets you anywhere. Cisco Catalyst Fixed Configuration Layer 2 and Layer 3 Switches - Cisco
    The switch ended up being a L2 3550 which I didn't know at the time instead of a L3 switch. Ended up throwing $30 I the trash and lesson learned.

So got the solution. The cable I was using was wrong. Dumb of me.

But got a new problem now. lol. I think I deleted the OS of my 2950 switch. :/

Here's the msg that I get:

switch: boot
    Boot process failed...
    switch:

switch: boot
    Boot process failed...
    switch:
    switch:
    switch:
    switch: s
    Unknown cmd: s
    switch: en
    Unknown cmd: en
    switch: ?
    ? -- Present list of available commands
    boot -- Load and boot an executable image
    cat -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
    copy -- Copy a file
    delete -- Delete file(s)
    dir -- List files in directories
    flash_init -- Initialize flash filesystem(s)
    format -- Format a filesystem
    fsck -- Check filesystem consistency
    help -- Present list of available commands
    load_helper -- Load and initialize a helper image
    memory -- Present memory heap utilization information
    mkdir -- Create dir(s)
    more -- Concatenate (display) file(s)
    rename -- Rename a file
    reset -- Reset the system
    rmdir -- Delete empty dir(s)
    set -- Set or display environment variables
    set_param -- Set system parameters in flash
    trap -- Cause a software breakpoint to occur
    type -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
    unset -- Unset one or more environment variables
    -- MORE --
    version -- Display boot loader version
    switch: reset
    Are you sure you want to reset the system (y/n)?y
    System resetting...

C2950 Boot Loader (C2950-HBOOT-M) Version 12.1(6)EA2c, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Compiled Thu 28-Feb-02 14:59 by antonino
    WS-C2950-12 starting...
    Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:09:e8:c7:9c:c0
    Xmodem file system is available.
    Initializing Flash...
    flashfs[0]: 2 files, 1 directories
    flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
    flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 7741440
    flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 3584
    flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 7737856
    flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 4 seconds.
    ...done initializing flash.
    Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3
    Parameter Block Filesystem (pb:) installed, fsid: 4

The system is unable to boot automatically because there
    are no bootable files to boot.

Don't know what to dooo!! help pls!
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    get a serial console managemen cable, a terminal emulator that is capable of doing xmodem (such as teraterm), learn how to install an ios using xmodem.
    Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image - Cisco
    Ahh the things you learn by having your own lab. If you did indeed delete the IOS out of flash then you will have to google for a new IOS for that switch. Then you will probably have to Xmodem a new IOS onto it through Rommon mode. It's not all lost yet. You have to explain to us about the wrong cable now!
    Ahh the things you learn by having your own lab. If you did indeed delete the IOS out of flash then you will have to google for a new IOS for that switch. Then you will probably have to Xmodem a new IOS onto it through Rommon mode. It's not all lost yet. You have to explain to us about the wrong cable now!

I know I'm off topic here, but that's why I have issues with GNS. You have to obtain an IOS to run the program, and frankly it's not legit to have an IOS that you download from the internet. I have several 2950 IOSs But I would think Cisco would not be happy if I set up an FTP site where folks could get IOSs for legacy equipment.
    clarson wrote: »
    get a serial console managemen cable, a terminal emulator that is capable of doing xmodem (such as teraterm), learn how to install an ios using xmodem.
    Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image - Cisco

Thank you. Did a bit of searching and found this link which I followed later. I think it's the same as you provided:
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    I know I'm off topic here, but that's why I have issues with GNS. You have to obtain an IOS to run the program, and frankly it's not legit to have an IOS that you download from the internet. I have several 2950 IOSs But I would think Cisco would not be happy if I set up an FTP site where folks could get IOSs for legacy equipment.

I just downloaded OS from cisco's website. Just registered and in the download section searched for my switch 2950 and it gives you free OS to download. Hope I'm on the right track.
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    I'm stunned.. I was there a couple of weeks ago trying to get an advanceservices ios for an router and it was DENIED!! Congrats!

Haha. I did delete the OS for sure. Just blindly typed the commands. Downloaded the IOS from cisco's website and uploading right now through tera term.

Here's a problem. I tried doing xmodem using xtraputty and i didnt understand what exactly I had to do so it didn't work.

Then I used the copy command in teraterm and then i used the send button to upload the file.

HOWEVER, it didn't ask me for xmodem or anything. but file is uploading right now. cisco's site said it might take up to 2 hours for the process to finish. I'm hoping i did the right thing.

Resets are frustrating. haha. Thanks to all of you guys though.

And regarding the wrong cable! I was brainless to use the straight through cable. I pulled out all my cables in the house and plugged in two switches and kept typing the commands again and again to succeed. Hahah. Wasted the whole day and then was rescued by all you guys! :P
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    I'm stunned.. I was there a couple of weeks ago trying to get an advanceservices ios for an router and it was DENIED!! Congrats!

lol. thanks. I just stumbled upon the link. was lucky!
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    if you set the baud rate to 115k it will take about 20 minutes. if your doing 9600, get back to it in the morning.
    doing xmodem ios install is something you want to know how to do, but not something you want a lot of experience doing.
    if you set the baud rate to 115k it will take about 20 minutes. if your doing 9600, get back to it in the morning.
    doing xmodem ios install is something you want to know how to do, but not something you want a lot of experience doing.

I skipped reading that par unfortunately but apparently the transfer is at 41.2 %. So seems like it will be done soon!! Will post the results right after it's done!
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    I'm about to give up on this thing and throw it out of the window!

So tried everything to restore the DEVIL but it won't take the freaking OS.
    First time process finished all the way to 100% and there were broken letters on the terminal window.

tried pressing enter million times didn't work. then unplugged and plugged back in.

tried the whole process with Putty and it froze half way to transfer and it said the program force closed.

SO unplugged and plugged back in.....

NOW, the problem is when i press enter and type something, it shows random greek letters on the screen. It doesn't make sense.

I have to keep unplugging to get to the switch: prompt and when i put it one command it takes it and from the next command it starts the greek letters again!!!!

sigh! Is there anything to be done on this thing or should I get my hammer?
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Take a deep breath :) You are on the right track, this time set the baud rate higher on the switch in rommon, then set it to match in terminal program.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    JeanM wrote: »
    Take a deep breath :) You are on the right track, this time set the baud rate higher on the switch in rommon, then set it to match in terminal program.

Tried that with no luck. :/
    So when i set it high it works.
    but then when i press enter the foreign letters starts.
    Then I do disconnect and new connection and set the BAUD rate in serial port.

WHen I put the copy xmodem command. and go to transfer>xmodem>send>filename,

A pop up window shows up and the transfer rate won't move. After a while it goes away on its own and when I press enter I'm back to the normal prompt "Switch:"

Any other command only works one time. and then the foreign letters start which makes no sense.
    ICND1 ---> 6th March

Used the same method but the transfer won't start. Window gets stuck there and goes away. and im back to switch: prompt. :/
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
    sounds like the baud rate on your switch and your computer are set different. keep changing the baud on your terminal emulator (teraterm i'm guessing) until your able to get good clear text on the screen.
    sounds like the baud rate on your switch and your computer are set different. keep changing the baud on your terminal emulator (teraterm i'm guessing) until your able to get good clear text on the screen.

That switch is dead to me. lol. I can't even think about it without getting my BP high anymore.

Anyway. Need help with something else!

On cisco 2900 XL switch, How do I delete Vlans?

From the global mode I can't just do no vlan 50. it says

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

from where do I delete?

So i searched a bit online and this is what i did:

S2>en
    S2#vlan database
    S2(vlan): No vlan 50

now it says deleting vlan 50
    but when i do show vlan brief,

it shows vlan 50 is there.

S2(vlan)#exit
    Error on database apply 38: NV storage failure
    Exiting....
    S2#
    01:16:07: %SW_VLAN-4-IFS_FAILURE: VLAN manager encountered file operation error: call = ifs_open/write / failure
    code (errno) = 21 / bytes transfered = 0
    -Traceback= 2BFC54 2BFF04 2C82E0 2D13C8 2D6260 1750C8 180CD4 1EB510
    S2#show vlan stat
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

S2#show vlan bri
    VLAN Name Status Ports
    ----

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4,
    Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8,
    Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12
    50 Computers active