Options

MTA - 98 365 / Server Admin Fundamentals

The Scotch EggThe Scotch Egg Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

taking my first certification exam on Thursday this week, the MTA 98 - 365 Server Administration Fundamentals.

Been revising using the official course book and the CBT-Nuggets videos (which I recommend as a slow learner, they helped me grasp some of the more confusing concepts)

Might be a good time to mention I've never looked at a server until before now.

So wish me luck! I'll let you know either way.

:D
MTA 98-365 (Server Admin) | 70-410 | 70-411 | 70-412 | MCSA Windows Server 2012

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How did it go? I am planning on taking this in January. I watched some of the CBT Nuggets and ordered the book. When I read the book I plan to try out everything I can in virtual machines.
  • Options
    Passed with an 88/100 (first certification)

Exam was okay, was slow to start because I didn't know the first question which knocked my confidence a little. But after that it was straight forward.

To study I was using the official MTA 98 - 365 book and the CBT nuggets. The question that got me was about group policy and more specifically the "loopback feature" which I had not covered at all, or even laid eye's upon. But I hear that's a Microsoft exam for you.

Best add it to my signature :D

Thanks
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! I plan to take this at some point in 2015. Probably in April-May I think.
  • Options
    tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! This was the first exam I took as well (back in June). I highly recommend taking the network and security MTA's as well. I even took the OS Fundamentals since my company was paying for it (that one was stupid easy).
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Congrats on the pass. What's next ?
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    Thanks for the messages guys! I'm on now looking at the 410, 411 and 412 for my MCSA in server 2012

I have an interview on Monday 22/12/2014 for my companies Server Operations team, shift based 24/7 team!

I'll keep you posted! :)
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey dude good to see another UK bod on here! Congrats on the pass.

How did your interview go?
  • Options
    steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    I am attempting this exam this month. It's good to know what I can review before taking the exam.
  • Options
    Hello Guy's sorry for the delayed response, I've been busy! I got the job, working in a 24x7 environment as a server operations engineer! NAILED IT!

I start 26/01/2015 so this monday! Thanks for all the help! :D
  • Options
    riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does this actually count as a certification? I thought this was like CCENT/CCT which really means basically nothing.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    riahc3 wrote: »
    Does this actually count as a certification? I thought this was like CCENT/CCT which really means basically nothing.

How does it mean basically nothing?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it means "nothing" I'd say that was a little unfair. I managed to get an interview for a job as the MTA is an industry recognised certificate. I am now at that job... today is my first day. I'm monitoring servers in Nimbus, and VM farms, patching servers from BMC and troubleshooting terminal server issues..etc etc.. so I guess I'm living proof that the MTA certification is not useless.
  • Options
    Everything is perspective. I would say to you it means nothing. But certifications are about knowledge and it demonstrates that someone that has the certification has some understanding of the topic. It might not be a top industry certification but that is not what it was meant to be.
  • Options
    obaid.abbasiobaid.abbasi Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats for passing the cert. and getting the job bro.
    I am planning to take the exam in couple of weeks.
    I have watched CBT Nuggets tutorials and will be revising all the stuff for a week or so.

One question, do I need to read the official book? I am not a good reader and books make me feel sleepy :D
    Also did you tried exam **** as well?
  • Options
    rajrajhansrajrajhans Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats for passing the cert. and getting the job bro.
    I am planning to take the exam in couple of weeks.
    I have watched CBT Nuggets tutorials and will be revising all the stuff for a week or so.

One question, do I need to read the official book? I am not a good reader and books make me feel sleepy :D
    Also did you tried exam **** as well?

Hello Mr. the exam **** are illegal..
  • Options
    Passed with an 88/100 (first certification)

Exam was okay, was slow to start because I didn't know the first question which knocked my confidence a little. But after that it was straight forward.

To study I was using the official MTA 98 - 365 book and the CBT nuggets. The question that got me was about group policy and more specifically the "loopback feature" which I had not covered at all, or even laid eye's upon. But I hear that's a Microsoft exam for you.

Best add it to my signature :D

Thanks

The same question threw me for a loop as well. I'll have to look into that one.
  • Options
    I just passed this exam yesterday. CBT Nuggets and the MTA Server Administration Fundamentals book were very helpful.
  • Options
    riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First, I apoligize as I ment no disrespect to anyone that has their MTA 98-65....

What I meant is that Cisco for example doesn't consider the CCENT to be a real certification. You must as least reach the CCNA.

Again, sorry about that.
  • Options
    First, I apoligize as I ment no disrespect to anyone that has their MTA 98-65....

What I meant is that Cisco for example doesn't consider the CCENT to be a real certification. You must as least reach the CCNA.

Again, sorry about that.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. When I earned my CCENT from Cisco they sent me my certification certificate including my certification number. There were no disclaimers in the package saying it was not real yet.

I had not earned an associate level certificate so there is some distinction between the level of certification I had. After all CCENT is just a first step. Much like the MTA certification.
  • Options
    paulsnopaulsno Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Starting my study this weekend. Will be putting in 5-6 hours each day on weekend and a couple hours a night. How long did you study for this one? Going to be rehashing a lot of old knowledge.

Set up exam date for 27th Feb! :D

Let me know how your other exams go. I will be going for Network fundamentals after this and then 70-410 70-411 70-412. Depending on how i go with this one.
  • Options
    don't worry about it riahc3.

And,
    obaid.abbasi thanks mate. Yeah all I used was the official course book, which was great.. and the CBT nuggets.. as exam **** are illegal. I think if you need exam **** for a fundamentals exam there may be something wrong. I don't mean any disrespect by that but you should at this point want to learn and understand the concepts, create a good base to build on, kinda thing.

onwards to my MCSA first exam scheduled 410!
  • Options
    BoschBosch Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, I'm not sure how helpful this will be to all of you as it contains a lot of information that probably won't be on the test, but I am following along with the Sybex: Windows Server Administration book for Microsoft's 98-365 and making some study guide/flash cards in preparation for my exam.

Hopefully this will help someone and make your lives a little easier!

Here is the link to the flash card bank:

MTA: Server Administration Fundamentals 98-365 flashcards | Quizlet

And this is the book that I purchased for studying, I am enjoying it (as much as one can enjoy a text book.) so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-Administration-Essentials/dp/1118016866

Good luck!

P.S.... FIRST POST! :)
  • Options
    realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Quizlet is an awesome source for study material. I just purchased the same book and have bought a Udemy MTA 98-365 course. I want this cert to at least indicate I am familiar with servers.
  • Options
    obaid.abbasiobaid.abbasi Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    don't worry about it riahc3.

And,
    obaid.abbasi thanks mate. Yeah all I used was the official course book, which was great.. and the CBT nuggets.. as exam **** are illegal. I think if you need exam **** for a fundamentals exam there may be something wrong. I don't mean any disrespect by that but you should at this point want to learn and understand the concepts, create a good base to build on, kinda thing.

onwards to my MCSA first exam scheduled 410!

I asked about **** coz Microsoft itself refers you MeasureUp. I have already completed CBT Nuggets Training on 98-365 and now I am trying to read Official Guide.

Good luck for your MCSA exam bro :D
  • Options
    rajrajhansrajrajhans Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello. First of all, thanks for the flash cards. Next, I'll advice you that you use the official Microsoft Official Academic Course book instead of the book by Tom Carpenter. That'll be pretty easy for you to understand as well as preparing for the exam. I'm, too, preparing for the same exam and I've heard that Tom Carpenter's book contains pretty much stuff that is not needed for the exam.
  • Options
    techno-kidtechno-kid Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the exam.... I plan to take the exam in the upcoming week/month