Virtualbox or ESXi

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
When labbing is there any advantage of having the servers virtualized in esxi over running them bridged in virtualbox in windows 8?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• MattcnzMattcnz Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure Virtualbox doesn't support nested virtualization, whereas VMWare workstation/ESXi can.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Correct, that's a big reason to use esxi when doing hyper-v labs. I'm going to put it in a rack case, is there any advantage of hot swap hard drives when labbing?

I have a pci capture card along with some usb capture cards, would I be able to use them in an esxi vm of windows 8.1?

Also is 16GB of ram enough for labbing? 2012 seems to run pretty good on 4GB.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Correct, that's a big reason to use esxi when doing hyper-v labs. I'm going to put it in a rack case, is there any advantage of hot swap hard drives when labbing?

I have a pci capture card along with some usb capture cards, would I be able to use them in an esxi vm of windows 8.1?

Also is 16GB of ram enough for labbing? 2012 seems to run pretty good on 4GB.

I labbed with all of my machines having 512MB RAM. This is due to the fact that I only have 4GB in my PC running hyper-v on 8.1! Got me by.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think you could nest hyper-v in ESXI in virutal. I tried it and that didn't work. Right now all my stuff i'm doing is in virutalbox . When i get to hyper-v then i will do it on my extra home server I have it running on .

It sucks that you could nest Hyper-v . It would be much easier for everyone i would think.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    Oh right, Hyper-V would be optimal for this, I'll just do it within windows 8.1 and save money on the vmware white box for now. I have 8 gb ram so 1-2 gb per vm would work, 2012 seems to be ok with that.
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh right, Hyper-V would be optimal for this, I'll just do it within windows 8.1 and save money on the vmware white box for now. I have 8 gb ram so 1-2 gb per vm would work, 2012 seems to be ok with that.
    Just add an extra SSD to that to run the VM's off and you should be fine though 8GB memory might be stretching it.
    I can always pick up 8GB more if needed.

I have 2012 running in hyper-v on 8.1. When I try to install the hyper-v role it says it can't install because a hypervisor is already running. Does hyper-v inside hyper-v really work?
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can always pick up 8GB more if needed.

I have 2012 running in hyper-v on 8.1. When I try to install the hyper-v role it says it can't install because a hypervisor is already running. Does hyper-v inside hyper-v really work?
    As far as I know you can't do that and there's no need to really, create all your VM's on your 8.1 host PC.
    There's no additional features in 2012's hyper-v or at least nothing that's used in the labs?

Is it okay to use virtualbox until the hyper-v labs or will there be a lot of environment to setup when I get to them?