Free Cisco iOS Simulator or xRV for PC ?

ThechainremainsThechainremains Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I just knocked out my CCENT last Friday and now Im prepping for my ICND2. I have a simulator on my iPad which i got from the App Store and it works perfectly, however i am just wondering is there not any free iOS simulator out there for download without having a Support Subscription or Partnership with Cisco?

I havent been able to find anything out there..

Why wouldnt Cisco just offer this simulator for $15 or $25 bucks if they really want to make money, instead of forcing people to pay for extra things they dont necessarily need? confused.png Jeezz..

I guess there's always torrent sites.. but good grief..

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you looking for something like GNS3?
  • ThechainremainsThechainremains Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you looking for something like GNS3?

I tried GNS3...its not working.
  • tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    For GNS3 you need to IOS.

I'm using packet tracer student edition. Free and awesome. DOES everything one needs for ICND2
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117

GNS3 works fine if you have access to images, what issue did you run into with it not working?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a simulator on my iPad which i got from the App Store and it works perfectly, however i am just wondering is there not any free iOS simulator out there for download without having a Support Subscription or Partnership with Cisco?

GNS3, packet tracer, and another program or two which is only supposed to be possessed by Cisco employees, but it gets around.
    If you're having a problem setting up GNS3, then you might as well use packet tracer. Every other sim will require some initial config and tweaking to get working
    Why wouldnt Cisco just offer this simulator for $15 or $25 bucks if they really want to make money, instead of forcing people to pay for extra things they dont necessarily need? confused.png Jeezz..

How many vendors do you know provide a free IOS/XR/XE/NX-OS sim with a broad range of features, or even that cheap? None. Supply and demand. People will pay for more features, especially if it saves them money in the long term (Which it does in comparison to physical hardware) for learning purposes.

However, there is one option for routing (Completely free. If you have a Cisco login. No need for a CCO account). If you have the computing power (Approximately 3 GB RAM and 1 CPU core per router), then you can run multiple CSR1000Vs (Download on Cisco's website) and setup a topology how you like with the vmnet adapters. It's the newest 15.x IOS(XE) which is similar enough to IOS to accomplish your ICND2 topics.

Switching is primarily hardware based. Therefore, getting all switching features working in a software environment is limited (But still enough for the ICND2 in packet tracer). Wait a few years though. Once the SDN and vswitch realm start making their ways through, that should be less of an issue.

Last thing. Check out VIRL (Google it). Cool stuff if you have the money. Good luck!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□

for gns3 you need to have access to images files... which you can find on the internet somewere or you can try to look for a VMware image of IOU-WEB it cames already with the images.
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I have access to many IOS images.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • mweaver84mweaver84 Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tecnodog7 wrote: »
    I'm using packet tracer student edition. Free and awesome. DOES everything one needs for ICND2

+1 icon_cheers.gif
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I, too, am finding that Cisco Packet Tracer has been very handy for my ICND1 studying. I've been following along the CBT Nugget videos and am happy with the results
  • ThechainremainsThechainremains Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    I have access to many IOS images.

Can you please upload 1 or 2 of your iOS images?