Help asap regarding cisco broadcast storm and dhcp snooping

JoloNationJoloNation Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys.

I'm just new in networking environment. can someone explain to me the meaning of broadcast storm and DHCP Snoopin on lay mans term? PLEASE.

I really appreciate it.

Thank you so so much in advance!

Comments

• Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Broadcast storm is when your network gets overwhelmed with continuous broadcast frames. This happens for a couple reasons but for sake of keeping this simple switching loops, poor network design, or poorly programmed devices can cause this. STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) is your friend here
  • GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dhcp snooping.. is a security feature that acts like a firewall between untrusted hosts and trusted dhcp servers. What this does is to prevent rogue dhcp servers from offering ip addresses on a given network. For more information lookup on google if you want to know how to configure it.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Broadcast storm is when your network gets overwhelmed with continuous broadcast frames. This happens for a couple reasons but for sake of keeping this simple switching loops, poor network design, or poorly programmed devices can cause this. STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) is your friend here

Just to add, disabling STP can event in a Broadcast storm! - Moral of the story. Don't disable STP! :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Or don't use cheap switches that don't support STP. That burned me once... (a LONG time ago)
  • tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    Also it's very important to know how the STP works. Many people configure a network without even having any clue about STP and if you don't change the default Bridge ID from the default one then you can also really cause havoc on your network at best and the worse is bring down your entire network.