Please help me decide on Network Switch....

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I am debating between these two switches...

TPLINK TL-SG1024DE $131 and the Cisco SG200-26 $255.

They both seem very comparable feature wise.... I am all about saving money, but not at the cost of reliability.

I need some really basic requirements.

24 port managed switch
Able to create 3-4 separate VLANS.

I am familiar with Cisco managed switches, but I do have a few TPLINK POE switches and couldn't be more pleased. I have had them in service for years without a single hiccup.

I will be using a Cisco router with this configuration.

Comments

• philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    With Brocade, HP, Juniper, Cisco, or Avaya you will have MUCH MORE support. Depends on what the switch is for.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Switch is for the following....

VLAN 10 - Corp network
    VLAN 20 - CCTV system
    VLAN 30 - Wireless Guest network

It's for a friends business and he only has a total of 3 computers as he runs a mechanic shop. I just want something reliable. I am VERY familiar with CISCO. I work for a very LARGE organization where we spend millions on technology products, but this is a very small business and he doesn't have the need for anything that does complicated crap. Main concern is reliability. Cisco and Juniper are what we use at our Company. Fans are usually the number one issue we seem to have with CISCO. I swear we must have over 100 switches in a closet collecting dust because the fans have gone out. Mainly 2900 and 3500 series switches.
    Well, my recommendation is usually to buy through a VAR, but since you are doing a shop for your buddy. You could buy refurbished? I just like to have products that have a large support community. That's just me though. Interesting He didn't go with a 48 port with an ISR.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is this for a homelab or business use in production?

The Cisco SG200-26 is a fanless switch, I have one for sale after upgrading to a SG300-52
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Is this for a homelab or business use in production?

Three posts up, not trying to be rude...

Switch is for the following....

VLAN 10 - Corp network
    VLAN 20 - CCTV system
    VLAN 30 - Wireless Guest network

It's for a friends business and he only has a total of 3 computers as he runs a mechanic shop. I just want something reliable. I am VERY familiar with CISCO. I work for a very LARGE organization where we spend millions on technology products, but this is a very small business and he doesn't have the need for anything that does complicated crap. Main concern is reliability. Cisco and Juniper are what we use at our Company. Fans are usually the number one issue we seem to have with CISCO. I swear we must have over 100 switches in a closet collecting dust because the fans have gone out. Mainly 2900 and 3500 series switches.
  • dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    HP you will get a lifetime warranty. That's what I bought for the home network. Almost exact same price range as well. I'm running trunks between HP, Cisco and Mikrotik.
    CISSP - January 2015
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
    Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

• snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've had much more luck with Cisco Small Business switches than HP and anything from TP-Link.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I went with the Cisco SG-200-26.