Options

GCIH Books to start with

lt42156lt42156 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm scheduled to take SANS sec504 followed by taking the GCIH. I plan on getting Counter Hack Reloaded by Edward Skoudis. I've read online to also get Hackers Beware: The Ultimate Guide to Network Security by Eric Cole as well. Are there any other books that anyone found useful? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lt42156 wrote: »
    I'm scheduled to take SANS sec504 followed by taking the GCIH. I plan on getting Counter Hack Reloaded by Edward Skoudis. I've read online to also get Hackers Beware: The Ultimate Guide to Network Security by Eric Cole as well. Are there any other books that anyone found useful? Thanks!

When will you take it? I plan on taking that course May 18 - 23.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think going through the course material is solid enough to get through the GCIH exam. After that, you can reinforce your knowledge by reading through Counter Hack and applying those skills in your home lab. If you're not comfortable with Linux, I'd recommend investing some time in that before class. It seems that courses like SANS 401, 504, and 560 set aside an extra hour or two on the first day of class just to acquaint students who aren't comfortable with Linux by covering some basic commands to get them through the course.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Thanks docrice!

I started the Intro to Linux course by edX, but it is seems pretty basic (just finished chapter 5). What resources do you recommend for getting enough Linux experience for the course?
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    You don't really need a whole lot and if you're already comfortable at the command line (moving through directories, decompressing files, redirecting output to other files, restarting services, etc.) then you're probably already fine. You just don't want to be super-slow at it.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    I think I am super slow at it right now lol. I have until May to prepare, but I've been putting more focus on the CISSP which I want to retake in March.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! Just one more question... the GCIH is 150 question test so is strong command line skills necessary for it or just SEC504?
  • Options
    E Double U wrote: »
    When will you take it? I plan on taking that course May 18 - 23.

I'll be taking it next month... I was given a pretty short notice that I am to attend.
  • Options
    If it's taught in 504, it's likely on the exam. You don't need strong Linux skills for it as most of what you need is relatively basic compared to what a full-time Linux admin would need on the job, but if you're very slow in navigating around the CLI, I'd recommend getting comfortable with it.
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly I was a little bit shocked of the amount of questions pertaining to Linux on my exam and I am not 100% sure everything was on the " Linux **** Sheet" possibly I am sure in the books "somewhere...................". I think it is a little bit difficult to point you in the right direction as far as learning Linux commands 1. It Is so so many. 2. This isn't a Linux Exam, so where do you really focus? Good question. Dorice suggested some great things to know up above in a previous post.

*You are going to get 5 books if my memory serves me correctly not including the lab book. I will repeat what everyone says instructors and all, "Everything you need to know is in the books". If you just like reading relevant information I can give you 10 books to read maybe 15. Read those books AFTER you pass