Issue with CSR1000v in ESXi 5.1

ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to build a lab using CSR1000v in ESXi 5.1 and I am running into an issue when I add the serial console to the device.

IF i add the serial on boot the CSR gets stuck on:

unable to open /dev/varied/

unable to open /dev/cdrom0

unable to open /dev/cdrom1
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 3

Anyone else run into this issue? (sorry I am very new to ESXi)

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I saw that link thankyou.
    I did some more digging and the issue happens when i try to use the network serial console. So no idea why this happens
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□

Is the last message I normally get on the "real" console. Everything after that is sent to the "network" console port.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
    bermovick wrote: »

Is the last message I normally get on the "real" console. Everything after that is sent to the "network" console port.
    Getting connection refused even after allowing the connection through the Esx firewall
    One sec; I'll edit this with what my settings are:

Actually here's a screenshot. 192.168.0.2 is my ESXi box, 1000x (where x is the router#) is the randomly selected port I chose.

You also have to open the firewall on the ESX box. I'll screenshot that to a 2nd reply

Here's the setting for the firewall. I noticed last time I reinstalled my routers, I initially picked the wrong rule to enable, so make sure you haven't done that. It also appears my screenshots might not be taking (I hate these forums for image linking). If they don't update soon I'll re-edit both posts.

After several attempts at making the images larger/more clear, I've given up. I'm nicely inebriated and heading to bed. I'll check in the morning to see if I can help more.

Thanks bermovick,

I have those exact settings - to me it seems the CSR1000v is freezing up when the serial is enabled. I have changed the lab topology to connect on an interface connected to the same one my Esxi console is on and using a management vrf to connect to all the routers.

Edit:

This is the image i am using:csr1000v-universalk9.03.12.02.S.154-2.S2-std.ova
  • 2600mx2600mx Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Scales, if you find a solution, would you mind to share? Thanks!