Options

Network Engineer, how do I go about doing it?

Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I am in college for my ATA in Computer Information Systems.

I have my MTA for Windows 7, and by the time I am finished with my degree I will have my CCNA, A+, Security+. MTA 365 and 367

As far as non-cert course I will be finishing, Linux+ coursework (I take Linux+ separately on my own) as well as C++ from introduction to the advanced data structures.

What should I study outside of school on top of this?

Oh, and I also have schooling in Python, Ruby, HTML5/CSS3, and JavaScript as part of my Information Technology Fundamentals.
Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
WGU-Software Development Student

Comments

• Options
    HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if you dont have it now..get a help desk /tech support /noc type position. I learned this the hard way.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Step 1. Get a networking job
    Step 2. Get networking Certs
    Step 3. Profit

(steps 1 and 2 can be interchangeable if need to)
  • Options
    Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you dont have it now..get a help desk /tech support /noc type position. I learned this the hard way.

I'm really trying to, working on volunteering for as many projects for the college that I can for the experience, etc. I really need this, it would by far be the greatest decision of my life. I love IT more and more, especially with its diversity.
    Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
    WGU-Software Development Student
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180

I highly second this. Try to choose a company that has a lot of opportunities to learn and move up and work your butt off. I've been in my current Help Desk position for about 8 months and they are talking about moving me to network technician position. I would like mention you look like you are on the right path just need to get some experience under your belt. It doesn't hurt to apply for the higher level positions you want if you feel you could handle the job, this route you would most likely need to impress someone or know somebody on the inside (or both). Good luck!