Renewing CompTIA CASP renewed A+, Network+, Security+

SuperISSOSuperISSO Posts: 47Member ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay, so I passed the CompTIA CASP test in 10/2014. Originally, I called a representative of CompTIA because this did not update the A+, Network+, Security+ Server+, or I-Net+ on the CompTIA Website. The representative said I had to retake A+, Network+, and Security+ because I originally took those between 2004 to 2006 and missed a cutoff date. I have been updating Continuing Education credits for CompTIA CASP for a couple of months now. Today, I just noticed that A+, Network+, and Security+ changed to CE certs. :). I was planning to take all 3 again to look better on the DoD 8570 / 8140, but I don't have to now. Is there a delay with that process or did the cutoff date change or something? Looks like I'll have a lot more Continuing Educations to do now. :)

Comments

  • fuz1onfuz1on Posts: 961Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's kind of like...you gotta pay to take a new exam to to eligible to enroll in a program that allows you to pay more to renew certifications you earn(ed) - every 3 years! icon_cheers.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

    "Good for Life" Continuing Education Candidates


    Important Notice “Good For Life” Candidates Enrolled in the Continuing Education (CE) Program
    “Good for Life” (GFL) candidates have three years from the date they enroll in the CE program to; accept the Code of Ethics, complete the appropriate level of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and pay in full the 3 year CE maintenance fees. Once the requirements are met candidates earn their ‘ce’ designation. At this time they begin a new cycle that expires 3 years from that date.
    It is important "Good for Life" candidates know that by completing the CE requirements 'early’ (before the end of the 3 year Enrollment period) that the cycle does not extend 3 years from the original expiration date. The cycle extends 3 years from the date the 'ce' designation is earned.
    Example: If a “Good for Life” candidate enrolled on 2/1/12, their CE enrollment period expiration date will be 2/1/15.
    If the candidate completes the final CE requirement on 8/25/13 prior to their expiration date, their new CE cycle dates would be 8/25/13 - 8/25/16.
    Participation in the CE program does not affect a candidate’s “certified for life” status, the good for life certification will always remain in effect, regardless of CE program participation.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • wd40wd40 CISA, eJPT, MCP, MCTS, CompTIA x 6 Posts: 988Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Similar thing happened to me.

    I passed Security+ on 20-Nov-2014, and got an e-mail two days ago congratulating me on Passing A+ ce and Network+ ce on 20-Nov-2014.

    I submitted a ticket to CompTIA and was informed that the new exam that I passed enrolled me on the ce program for the old A+ and Network+.

    Now I just need to get the US citizenship and a DOD Job to be able to use them :D

    Note: I have no interest in moving to USA or getting the US citizenship, but a DOD Job would be nice.
  • SuperISSOSuperISSO Posts: 47Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Okay, some I'm not the only one... :)... I'm so happy that I don't have to take those again. However, I'm going to take a self paced hands-on course for the A+ because I want to keep the skills as fresh as possible. But, it will have to wait until I pass the CISSP TEST.
  • naej89naej89 Posts: 10Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    SuperISSO could you tell us what materials did you use for the certification? so far there is not much information out there, all i have been studying from the sybex book. but i am concern about the lab that this certification has.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Posts: 961Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    naej89 wrote: »
    SuperISSO could you tell us what materials did you use for the certification? so far there is not much information out there, all i have been studying from the sybex book. but i am concern about the lab that this certification has.

    hey naej89 - i think with your background, the simulation/performance-based questions shouldn't be out of your knowledge-base - i think you'd probably do well because i've failed it.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • naej89naej89 Posts: 10Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    fuz1on thanks for your reply. I have decided to take the test by the end of april. this is due i am currently in college. You said that you took test, is there like a print out that tells you the areas that you have to work on if you fail?
  • fuz1onfuz1on Posts: 961Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    naej89 wrote: »
    fuz1on thanks for your reply. I have decided to take the test by the end of april. this is due i am currently in college. You said that you took test, is there like a print out that tells you the areas that you have to work on if you fail?

    nope. only pass/fail; not even a score.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Posts: 146Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    question on this: I know that Net+ renews the A+, and Security+ will renew both. But after I take my Sec+, will I owe any money for the CE program, or that only when using CE's, instead of another CompTIA exam. I am just confused because on the CertMetrics Website it looks like it is asking me for money. icon_cry.gif
    2018 Goals: CCNA R&S, CySA+, and VCP6.5
  • DoubleNNsDoubleNNs Posts: 2,013Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you pass the Sec+ you won't owe any money for the CE program. The renewal will happen automatically, and at no additional cost than the Sec+ voucher.

    You will then have 3 years to either pass another higher level CompTIA exam, re-pass your Sec+ to renew your trinity, or pay to submit CEs.
    Goals for 2018:
    Certs: RHCSA, LFCS: Ubuntu, CNCF CKA, CNCF CKAD | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer, AWS Solutions Architect Pro, AWS Certified Security Specialist, GCP Professional Cloud Architect
    Learn: Terraform, Kubernetes, Prometheus & Golang | Improve: Docker, Python Programming
    To-do | In Progress | Completed
  • GForce75GForce75 Posts: 222Member
    SuperISSO wrote: »
    Okay, so I passed the CompTIA CASP test in 10/2014. Originally, I called a representative of CompTIA because this did not update the A+, Network+, Security+ Server+, or I-Net+ on the CompTIA Website. The representative said I had to retake A+, Network+, and Security+ because I originally took those between 2004 to 2006 and missed a cutoff date. I have been updating Continuing Education credits for CompTIA CASP for a couple of months now. Today, I just noticed that A+, Network+, and Security+ changed to CE certs. :). I was planning to take all 3 again to look better on the DoD 8570 / 8140, but I don't have to now. Is there a delay with that process or did the cutoff date change or something? Looks like I'll have a lot more Continuing Educations to do now. :)

    I read something on the govt site in regards to this. I think it was to cut down on confusion and people were upset how they were screwed. It's a win for CompTIA because they have new paying customers.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
Sign In or Register to comment.