Options

Facilitating SEC401 at SANS 2015!!

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
I'm actually still a little in shock. First the fact that I got picked to facilitate what is probably the most popular course at what seems to be their largest event, and then the fact that security management at work approved paying for not only the class, but the hotel stay and training time off too! I'm excited to assist and sit in class with Dr. Eric Cole.

I'd love to hear advice from anyone who has facilitated at SANS events. I know I've read through some threads about it a while back so I'll go back and re-read them to see what I can pick up.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! I've done it 3 times and loved it. The Chicago events are 7-8 classes and super easy to facilitate. Others here who have been to the bigger conferences usually say those are bussier and may put you away from the class for a longer period, but nothing too crazy. You'll get access to the OnDemand course so you'll be able to catch up later with whatever you miss.

Best advice is to communicate with your instructor and see if he has any special requests. Same thing applies to the SANS coordinators. They all have their style so make sure you communicate with them and ask questions. Also, remember you are not there to support the students. I've come accross many who seem to have the misconception that we are there to help them troubleshoot their PCs, find them Windows licenses, ISOs, etc.

The final thing is to make the most out of your interaction with other students. The contacts you'll make here along with the conversations that take place will be of great value.
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm currently sat in a classroom as a facilitator, it's a great program. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions. Enjoy!
  • Options
    OM602OM602 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was interested in the work study program until I found out you have to wear a red SANS apron. I'd happily pay an extra 3500 to not have to wear that
    The world chico, and everything in it
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice! I assisted Dr. Cole my first time around as well. 401 is a great all-around technical course, and Dr. Cole is definitely one of the gods. Enjoy!