Setup Linux Partitions onto single VMWare Hard Disks

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Right now I'm running a proof of concpet of a RHEL 5 on a VM in VMWare/vSphere, with an onboard Oracle 11gR2 database.

Reading thru a number of Oracle Whitepapers, their best pratice states that, say for example, where the database gets installed, /opt, should have its own hard disk under the vm in vSphere. Along with say /var/log/messages under its own hard disk and /tmp.

I've looked around online and can't find any info on how to set this up. Talking with our vmware admin, who's background is in Windows, stated that along of Windows Servers that run Oracle, are often setup this way, which disks holding different areas of the database install.

Anyone have any idea how to set this up in Linux?
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Right click on the VM > "edit settings" > Add... > Hard Disk... enter your specifications. Then go into OS and proceed to configure from there.

Edit: For the vSphere 5.x C# client
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I can't remember from any of the install screens from RHEL 5/6, will it allow me to point at these hard disks in VM?

iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Right click on the VM > "edit settings" > Add... > Hard Disk... enter your specifications. Then go into OS and proceed to configure from there.

Edit: For the vSphere 5.x C# client
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'll need to add these new disks via the vSphere client as the other poster said. Go into the OS and mount those partitions as needed.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't forget to edit the /etc/fstab file in the linux guest OSes. Use the UUID to reference the hard drives in it.