Study Materials for CCNA:Security

dewey haftadewey hafta Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am considering taking the CCNA:S after my CCNA (exam is tomorrow morning). I feel like I have been reading mixed reports regarding books to read for it, as well as other recommended resources to use. Some have said the OCG is worth it, but apparently is super dry. I used the sybex book and testout for the CCNA (plus youtube, techexams, cisco learning network, etc) and think that has done a pretty good job of covering the material. I have (I believe) enough hardware for the exam minus an ASA which I am assuming I'll need? I wanted to get some feedback from those that have attempted or are currently studying for the CCNA:S as to what they recommend for this particular exam.

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I don't think you will need any ASA access to pass this exam, I'm actually really disappointed in how little ASDM and ASA's are covered in the materials I've seen. I glazed over the security OCG, and it seemed most of the topics covered in it are in the Chris Bryant CCNA Sec bootcamp video series - a lot of the stuff is performed on routers instead of ASA's.

I'm just going to use the video series as I work with ASA's / Routers / Switches / ACL's all day, so the material for me is barely even review.
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am considering taking the CCNA:S after my CCNA (exam is tomorrow morning). I feel like I have been reading mixed reports regarding books to read for it, as well as other recommended resources to use. Some have said the OCG is worth it, but apparently is super dry. I used the sybex book and testout for the CCNA (plus youtube, techexams, cisco learning network, etc) and think that has done a pretty good job of covering the material. I have (I believe) enough hardware for the exam minus an ASA which I am assuming I'll need? I wanted to get some feedback from those that have attempted or are currently studying for the CCNA:S as to what they recommend for this particular exam.

I'm using OCG which isn't too bad..I'd recommend it. Additionally, I have CBT Nuggets which are pretty good along with Chris Bryant's course on Udemy that I picked up for $9.99 a while ago on sale - also pretty good.

As for a lab, no physical gear anymore (for now) but GNS3 along with VirtualBox have allowed me to lab everything short of the switching stuff..haven't toyed with switching in GNS3 yet. Packet Tracer will probably be enough to lab through that part.
  • dewey haftadewey hafta Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I don't think you will need any ASA access to pass this exam, I'm actually really disappointed in how little ASDM and ASA's are covered in the materials I've seen. I glazed over the security OCG, and it seemed most of the topics covered in it are in the Chris Bryant CCNA Sec bootcamp video series - a lot of the stuff is performed on routers instead of ASA's.

I'm just going to use the video series as I work with ASA's / Routers / Switches / ACL's all day, so the material for me is barely even review.

That's surprising that most of the labbing sounds like it can be done on a router. My work may let me get my hands on one ASA to kind of play around with. I think that since I don't work on this type of equipment on a daily basis that having one in front of me would help.

jamthat - I have only heard good things about Chris Bryant's videos so it may be worth picking up. In the past I have done well to supplement my reading with some type of video material as well. May sit and see if there is a sale on the material but I don't mind spending the 100 bucks if it'll be worth it. Thanks for the advice.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will not touch the ASA at all honestly, however you do want to get some labbing in with CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional). You can download it for free. All you have to do from there is get CCP connected to your virtual (or physical) environment. There is a little bit of CLI in the text, but honestly most of it is with CCP. If you can find your way around a GUI, you'll be fine.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • dewey haftadewey hafta Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok awesome. Thanks. I just found a coupon for Chris Bryants vids for 10 bucks. Already I see that people are posting in their discussions about the CCP, so good advice wolfman.