Job Search Questions. I have 2 certs, but 0 expereince (Need Advice)

bkhayesbkhayes Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone.

basically - I'm having some confusion. maybe somebody who knows alot can help. I live in Silver Spring, Maryland.

I have a bachelors (4 year) in Information Systems & Decision Sciences.

I have a security + cert and i just earned the GIAC GCIH cert. and i took the Sec504 class too - but to be honest. i have zero experience.

I have my information on monster.com & dice.com and i have a updated linkedin profile i also am looking thru clearancejobs.com

i found this SANS 2014 Salary Survey.

https://www.sans.org/webcasts/2014-salary-survey-state-security-professionals-today-97735?utm_source=offsite&utm_medium=text-ad&utm_content=PR_SalarySurv2014_wc_043014&utm_campaign=Webcasts&ref=157920

https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/analyst/cybersecurity-professional-trends-survey-34615

but my main issue is this. basically i think its a bad idea to sit around and wait for jobs to come to me, i feel i need to apply for alot of positions.

I'm using monster & dice.com and i'm searching in my zipcode under words like

"incident handler"
"forensics"
"audit"
"security analyst"
"Systems admin "

and i basically keep finding jobs that require 2-3 years experience, special security clearance, and other types of certs i don't have at the moment.

am i searching in the wrong places? i keep hearing about how how recuiters are looking for people with certifications or that there are bots the search for key words in resumes...

but what i'm doing wrong - am i looking in the wrong places. when i see stats like this...i get confused....

how should i apply for jobs?

02_zpsvezwbmxr.jpg

01_zpsvdyhujyw.jpg

cybersecurity-professional-trends-survey-34615-21_zps59gmotp1.jpg

Comments

• tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From what I've seen, certs and a degree don't compare with on the job experience. Look for help desk/ desktop tech positions to get your foot in the door.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say shoot for the stars, it doesn't mean you can't get one of these positions. However, considering the state of the job market presently, experience is crucial. Apply apply apply. Your goal should be MINIMUM 3-5 job applications A DAY. If you want output you have to input.

However, considering you have no experience, you'd be better starting with help desk or something entry level. Apply to both the help desk and these various job titles you've posted. If you want help with resume format, post it on here and we can critique and input on potential improvements.

I know this sounds stupid also, but look up generic interview questions. Answer them in your mirror, improving as you go. This is one method of making you flow better with those generic interview questions and will put you above the average interviewer. Don't let your ego surpass your ability for self improvement. Practice with your wife/husband or dog or sibling, relative, whatever. You will receive reciprocation equivalent to your input and efforts.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • bkhayesbkhayes Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say shoot for the stars, it doesn't mean you can't get one of these positions. However, considering the state of the job market presently, experience is crucial. Apply apply apply. Your goal should be MINIMUM 3-5 job applications A DAY. If you want output you have to input.

However, considering you have no experience, you'd be better starting with help desk or something entry level. Apply to both the help desk and these various job titles you've posted. If you want help with resume format, post it on here and we can critique and input on potential improvements.

I know this sounds stupid also, but look up generic interview questions. Answer them in your mirror, improving as you go. This is one method of making you flow better with those generic interview questions and will put you above the average interviewer. Don't let your ego surpass your ability for self improvement. Practice with your wife/husband or dog or sibling, relative, whatever. You will receive reciprocation equivalent to your input and efforts.

sure...i could post my resume here - but i will remove blurr my name and contact info though...

i actually just applied for 3 positions thru dice.com

i just felt this would be easier for me since i have a GCIH and Security + Cert, a 4 years Bacherlors & plenty of training from SANS and the University i attended.

but i guess i'll have to go around applying and begging. i don't mind it, i just thought have a GCIH would make it easier.

and being that i live in the Maryland-DC-Virginia (region) which they say is the new silicon valley - i thought this would be easier - but..i guess not.

any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.