Options

You know youve been studying too much cisco when.....

crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Taking my ICND1 next monday and ive been studyin really hard.... Was playing destiny this weekend on the xbox and a computer voice says something like "remote hub failure, routing offline" and my mind thinks a hub is a layer 1 device and would not affect layer 3 operation except at the remote location

Comments

• Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    LOL

I do this a lot,generally with films. I think my best example is in Skyfall when the new Q plugs Silva's laptop into the network and I actually said "F**king Idiot, don't plug it into your network"
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    haha totally.

I drive down the freeway thinking everyone is packets, and when a accident happens some SOB was on a half duplex link, or whatver it might be. Total nerd thoughts, i love it
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL. I love the traffic example as a way to think about network collisions.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    haha totally.

I drive down the freeway thinking everyone is packets, and when a accident happens some SOB was on a half duplex link, or whatver it might be. Total nerd thoughts, i love it
    Oh my God, I thought I was the only one. Each exit is an interface to the next hop address. My house is the source IP address and where I'm going to is my destination address. The payload is me and my debit card/cash. Thanks to you I will see an accident and think collision. I also see traffic jams as bottlenecks LOL
  • Options
    Oh, and I have had occasional SYN ACK transactions where I forget something while I'm where I need to be, so I have to turn around and run back home. Technically it would be an incomplete 3 way handshake. My wife is still at home and there are days where my protocol is either TCP or UDP.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    ^^^ hahahaha i never thought of it that in depth but that is awesome!
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ha ha ha brilliant, glad there are other freaks like me about!
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nerd alert lol.

This really takes me back to my CCNA. When people said certain words it made me to think about Cisco:

address - ip address
    route - static/dynamic, routing protocols
    neighbor - BGP

Even now the word trunk will make me think of the connection between switches. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    It helps to think about it this way though, in all honesty, and makes it very fun to add this kind of element to it.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    My wife is still at home and there are days where my protocol is either TCP or UDP.

Haha I love that one!
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I once opened a Windows shell and typed "show ?"
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In the book "Microserfs", one of the computer programmers is obsessed with highway almanacs and the logic choices of driving from point A to point B.
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Whenever I go out and I see a Cisco product, i'm like "I like this company". Using Cisco VoIP machines, Cisco WAPS? You da best.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I have to use analogies, like most of us, in day to day correspondence with customers/execs. I find that anything can be related to IT, if enough thought is put into it. I really like this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gog83xy9hK4
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you give your children permit and deny statements when they want something....
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you say "no shutdown" instead of "turn it on" in a casual conversation icon_lol.gif
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Simrid wrote: »
    Whenever I go out and I see a Cisco product, i'm like "I like this company". Using Cisco VoIP machines, Cisco WAPS? You da best.

Whenever I go to Pizza Hut or some other business, I always check if they have a Cisco phone, and if so, what model haha!
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dream networking. Not always good dreams, I have dreams where I can't solve a networking problem and I wake up upset over it. To the point where I am grumpy all day over it. When this starts happening I back off studies for a bit and relax some.
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    thatguy67 wrote: »
    Whenever I go to Pizza Hut or some other business, I always check if they have a Cisco phone, and if so, what model haha!

Wise man.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    Dark-KnightDark-Knight Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When you start "configuring" or "troubleshooting" your everyday problems
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I realised I had a problem when I started talking dirty to my girlfriend using networking analogies...
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.