Question/Advice Needed: Labbing in ICND1 or ICND2?

BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Guys,

As mentioned in a previous thread, i've spent top dollar (or my perception of top dollar) on a live lab. Im currently studying for the ICND1 exam, and im wondering when will alot of lab work come into play. During ICND1 studies or ICND2? Im currently using INE as my primary source of training (I plan on throwing in the OCG this week).

Thanks as usual for all help and input!
2015 Goals:
CCENT
CCNA
CCNA Security

Comments

• HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    For CCENT it isn't used as much as later when you get further into networking. You will use it more when you get into the ICND2 portion and from my understanding, you will use your lab far more once you get past the ICND2 and having your CCNA. My lab collected some dust during my ICND1 studies.

And YES, you did spend top dollar for your lab, and a very nice intro one at that.

Have you received your equipment yet?
  • BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    HAMP wrote: »
    For CCENT it isn't used as much as later when you get further into networking. You will use it more when you get into the ICND2 portion and from my understanding, you will use your lab far more once you get past the ICND2 and having your CCNA. My lab collected some dust during my ICND1 studies.

And YES, you did spend top dollar for your lab, and a very nice intro one at that.

Have you received your equipment yet?

Hamp, my man! No, it should be here tomorrow. I'll admit its the first lab i've ever bought so im going to have a boatload of equipment that'll be new to me, and i'll honestly have no idea what to do with it once its assembled lol. I figure its a learning process and im going to learn as I go along, I just want to make sure I hit the ground running with this cert.
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
    BJ4IT wrote: »
    Hamp, my man! No, it should be here tomorrow. I'll admit its the first lab i've ever bought so im going to have a boatload of equipment that'll be new to me, and i'll honestly have no idea what to do with it once its assembled lol. I figure its a learning process and im going to learn as I go along, I just want to make sure I hit the ground running with this cert.

It was weird for me and although I had my Net+ already, a lot of things wasn't clicking from cisco until I opened my box and pulled out the equipment I first bought. It was a strange relief, and I was thinking at the time "Ooohhh!, that's what they were talking about". lol

My beginning issue, I wasn't for sure what to buy Then when that little click happened, and when I grasped most of it, I then had a new problem.

My new problem was buying more and more equipment.. lol

I was always on ebay and craigslist, just looking around for some great deals.

Buying WIC's, crossover cables, patch cables, DB cables.

Since I knew what to look for, some of my best deals were:

(4) 2950 switches for $30
    2811 Router with a 512 flashcard and 768 memory for $17... Won that bid two days ago
    The Digi CM-48 Terminal Server for $35. Up until I gotten that 2811, I felt the Digi was my best deal. (I love that thing... lol)

I would say, a few times I went little overboard. I didn't need to buy Fiber modules, but was curios when I setup some different labs. I'm still not sure It was necessary for me to max out the memory on all my router, but for $4 a stick, why not!!! lol

BTW,

I have a feeling you have a newer Laptop(if that is what you will be using for your lab), and most of them do not come with a serial port.
    That means you will have to buy a 'USB to Serial(DB9) Adapter' to connect to your console ports.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should be using your lab alot even when studying for the INCD1.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with NetworkNewb. Use the lab now. Just because there isn't a place to follow along word for word in the book doesn't mean you can't be looking at concepts like addressing interfaces, checking arp/mac/routing tables, etc. More comfortable you get in the CLI the better.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    You should be using your lab alot even when studying for the INCD1.
    Agree with NetworkNewb. Use the lab now. Just because there isn't a place to follow along word for word in the book doesn't mean you can't be looking at concepts like addressing interfaces, checking arp/mac/routing tables, etc. More comfortable you get in the CLI the better.

Sounds like there maybe a misunderstanding with what I typed. lol

I didn't say he wasn't going to use the lab with INCD1, I simply saying it will be used more the further he gets into it.

Or

maybe my idea of 'a lot' is different then what other have in mind?

Because I used my lab a lot more with INCD2 then I did with INCD1... lol
  • BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I noticed that GNS3vault has alot of labs for GNS3 users. Is it possible to take the labs originally assigned for GNS3 users, and do them on the live lab instead? Im going to be trying to get my hands on as many labs as I can get.
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security