Any UMUC students take the CEH course and sit for the exam here?

cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
Any UMUC students take the CEH course and sit for the exam here? A few classmates of mine are looking for info on how to obtain something official that allows us to become eligible to sit for the exam. Anybody know anything ?

Comments

• BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am just starting to look into this, too. I am in a UMUC CEH class currently and will want to take the CEH exam over the summer.

Is your instructor McHuen?

B
  • cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took it last semester...my teacher was a different guy.....he couldnt tell us too much on how to get the cert......

If you find something out....let me know...I want to take the exam...
  • d805d805 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You guys find out if the UMUC class will waive the $100 fee? Planning on taking the exam this summer.
  • qasimchadharqasimchadhar Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is UMUC's class for CEH any good? I'm going there for MS CyberSecurity and have been wandering around for certs.
    d805 wrote: »
    You guys find out if the UMUC class will waive the $100 fee? Planning on taking the exam this summer.

EC Council considers the UMUC course to be "official training", so you can just go buy the voucher and take the exam. There is no required application to take the exam, nor cost to cover said application.
    Is UMUC's class for CEH any good? I'm going there for MS CyberSecurity and have been wandering around for certs.

It's okay. You have to remember that no matter where you take it, it is EC Council. The current books they use were published in 2010. As an example, the vulnerabilities described for web browsers referenced the latest version of Firefox as "2.0.0.11". Not exactly hugely relevant to what you will see out in the wild. I took the course with Jason McHuen as the instructor and he was pretty good. He gave this response to a recent post:

"The thing to remember about the old tools is that they STILL work on a lot of systems. The most important thing to take away is the concept. Tools come and go, but the concepts remain. In many cases, old tools need only a tweaking to work with later systems. Not always the case, but A LOT of times. Pluse, we still run old systems in production environments. I do pentests for a living. TRUST ME, they are everywhere. Typically not as the end-user workstations, but connected to or running systems, services and programs. Windows 2000/2003 is still commonly found."

So, take what you can from the course, but don't expect to learn expert level pentesting skills in it. I think that is what many on this board have come to realize.

B
  • madgame618madgame618 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sat the class over a year ago. I am not sure if this will apply to any of you but I was able to obtain a free voucher through the VCTP program through the University of Syracuse. VCTP is a military program. You have to take three courses (100% free), the last being a CEH course but once you complete, JP Morgan Chase pays for your voucher. UMUC also offers a discounted rate of $400 through the xvoucher site. I am not sure how you can show proof of taking the course other than providing a copy of your transcripts perhaps? HTH.
  • cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thx for the info Mad....I'm a vet that just applied for the VCTP program......I saw the prereqs for CEH...and I actually have those...I wonder if that will hurt me.....I just really need to voucher....LOL

I was looking at the XVoucher site....it looks like you just need credit card.......am I missing something in regards to proving your were a UMUC student?
    I don't think you need to prove anything. There is a one to two day "processing time" where I believe they are checking your info against the school DB. Not 100% sure on that though

B