PMP application accepted then was audited when I paid for exam

Mdluffy317Mdluffy317 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I have not taken the PMP exam yet. So this thread will contain my future exam result. I started this thread as I wanted to share my recent PMP application audit experience.

Some background, I began the PMP application process in January 2015 about the same time I started acquiring the 35 hours of contact time through skillsoft/skillport. I did not submit my application as I needed 2 months pass to in order to fulfill the experience requirements.

Late March 2015, I finally submitted my application and received confirmation from PMI about 5 to 6 days later that the application was accepted. I was more than excited about the news but I also knew from reading this and other forums that an audit may occur at any time during the credentialing process.

Now in April 2015 after studying 10 houts a week for 2 months and feeling really good about taking the exam, I decided it was time to pay and schedule the exam. As soon as I paid the examination fee on PMIs website, I was greeted with a worrisome message, "Your application has been randomly selected for an audit..." and "you have 60 days to provide documentation..."

No matter how prepared I thought I was, i was bummed. I was really more upset and frustrated than anything because I felt the audit process would delay when I could take the exam by at least 3 to 4 weeks and I didn't want to continue studying far such a long time.

Lessons learned:

1. If you really want to be prepared for an audit, assume you will be audited. That way, you're mentally ready for the roadblock.

2. Don't study really hard before paying for the exam. Submit your application,then pay. In the event you are audited, you can take care of the audit without disruption to your study regimen. After you pay, you may schedule the exam anytime up to a year after paying the examination fee.

The next day after receiving notice of the audit, I printed the audit documents, education experience certificates, and photocopied my degree. Since my entire PM experience could be verified by another PM, I only included 1 identity/signature page for him to sign. He initialed and highlighted the other project verifcation pages. The experience verification pages was stuffed into a greeting card size envelope. He then sealed and signed the back of the envelope.

I placed the sealed envelope, educational certificates and credential into a legal sized envelope then mailed 2 day via USPS with delivery confirmation. That was on a Friday... I received confirmation of delivery from USPS on Monday. 2 days later on Wednesday, PMI sent me confirmation emails letting me know the package arrived and that I passed the audit.

Lessons learned: Relax the audit can be quick if you follow their directions and submit the materials timely.

For about a 2 weeka I neglected to study, but reviewed Rita's process guide daily before bed. She did a great job at summarizing PM process on a high level.

I will sit for the exam in 2 to 3 weeks. Wish me luck.

Comments

• zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mdluffy,

I actually am in a near identical situation myself. I began the studying process, submitted my application and was super excited. I then submitted payment like you and was pretty flustered to see that I was selected for the Audit process. I was sent the email notifying me of being selected for the audit this past Monday, the same day I paid the exam fee. I just got all my audit materials together and sent them out yesterday and they should arrive at PMI on Monday. I am hoping they process it quickly so I can quit worrying about the audit and get back to focusing on the exam.

I also plan to test mid May myself, I have read Rita once from front to back and I am about 75% through my second pass of the book. I also listened to the PMprepcast videos and along with that I have done 3 of the 4 paid practice exams from PMstudy averaging around 70% and I got 70% on the Oliver lehman free 75 q's.

If I could do it over again I would be prepared for the audit in advance that way if selected I send everything out the same day and I am not scrambling and stressing it. Keep us posted on how you do! I will be testing right after you
  • Mdluffy317Mdluffy317 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Update, I have scheduled the exam for next monday (May 4th). I am dedicating this week to re-reviewing Rita's PMP Exam Prep book (probably make 1-2 passes this week). I also have started taking exam simulations, these are my scores so far:

Oliver Lehman's PMP 75 Questions: 72%
    Skillport/Skillsoft PMP Exam Quiz: 80%
    Rita PM Fastrack 24 Questions (Demo): 76%
    Rita PM Fastrack 200 Question: 70.4

I feel confident but will hit the books some more and take another simulation on Thursday, then on lastly on Saturday.

The full exam simulations leave me about 45-50 minutes of review time. Very happy that I am building a decent time buffer.
    Best of luck! I am planning to test May 18th. Be sure to let us know how you do!
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good luck! (you too zxbane)

I am enrolled in Syracuse's VCTP program for PMP but can't find time to get started. :/
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    Good luck! (you too zxbane)

I am enrolled in Syracuse's VCTP program for PMP but can't find time to get started. :/

Have you submitted the PMP application?
    Just wanted to report in the results of PMP exam today. I passed!

My score breakdown:
    MP= Moderately Proficient
    P=Proficient

Initiating: MP
    Planning: P
    Executing: P
    Monitoring/Controlling: MP
    Closing: MP

I read primarily Rita's book. Looked at the 1 or 2 pages from PMPBok searching for the ITTOs diagram. But decided that I will not try memorize it, instead read Ritas book several times to really understand Project Management the way to the way PMI will test in the PMP exam.

I found Rita's book to be thorough and adequately prepared me for the exam. I did memorize her entire process chart and the 20 or so formulas she covered. I brain dumped the process chart, formulas at the beginning of the exam during the pre exam tutorial. It used up 20 minutes of my official testing time also. So technically I started the exam at 3:40.

Anyway it took me all the remaining time to answer the questions. I finished the exam with 3 seconds to spare therefore I did not have a chance to review the questions I had marked for review. Im also a slow test taker, I reread questions multiple times to ensure I understood the situation presented and what I was being asked to answer. Quality over quantity tradeoff...

Let me know if you want any further information about my exam preparations or strategy. Good luck on your own exam!
  • jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!
    Congrats mdluffy317! I have read Rita 3 times and memorized the process chart as well. I also listened to the PM Prep Cast and did 4 of the PM Study Practice Exams averaging 70-75%. I can **** the chart along with about 15 or so formulas in 10 minutes or so, hoping this helps. I attend a PMP boot camp next week and then I test on the 18th, I will be sure to report how I did!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!! And zxbane good luck to you on the 18th!!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    zxbane wrote: »
    Congrats mdluffy317! I have read Rita 3 times and memorized the process chart as well. I also listened to the PM Prep Cast and did 4 of the PM Study Practice Exams averaging 70-75%. I can **** the chart along with about 15 or so formulas in 10 minutes or so, hoping this helps. I attend a PMP boot camp next week and then I test on the 18th, I will be sure to report how I did!

It sounds like you will be more than ready. The boot camp will be a breeze for you also. I really felt Ritas PM Fastrack exam simulator was the best, matching up to the tone of the exam. I swear there were a few questions on the exam that seemed very similar to the questions from PM Fastrack.
    If you can get your hands on software, I highly recommend it.
    Completed the boot camp, I was familiar with everything we went over but it also helped as a refresher and to fill in any gaps I had. Test on Monday at 1230, I'll be sure to report back with results.
  • jjones2016jjones2016 Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations to everyone... You all have inspired me to FINALLY bite the bullet and take this exam. Thanks!
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The audit is a real concern of mine if I get it, it's difficult for me to track down former managers to get their signatures on documents. Can I email them these documents for them to sign or do I have to provide hardcopies for them to mail back to me which I in turn mail to PMI
    Thanks
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)