Found bakers dozen of additional Windows Server performance tweaks

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Going to go another week with these registry tweaks in the cluster at work to vet them and then I'll update my blog for all to see. But I'm reducing the memory needs of my 2008/2013 R2 servers so far by 45% after just about 22 registry tweaks while not causing instability or security issues. Talk about Microsoft bloat in the registry hive, SMH! ... scoured the internet for weeks finding everything under the sun to do to tweak the snot out of Windows Server.

Here are some pictures, Can you all do this?

I'm able to constantly reduce the memory allocated to these VM's; why give it RAM if it doesn't need it, even on load! icon_rolleyes.gif

....Next I made reduce the CPU's....but that will take monitoring and future-casting with vCOPS.

Wonder what the performance will be like once I move the servers to there own vlan and off the 60% load /23 subnet and putting them on a /25 subnet.

Primary DC (VM): Forest Masters, DNS, DHCP, FTP, and GPM:

Terminal Server (VM) (6 active users on server as of screenie - typical applications: Outlook, Excel, Syteline ERP)

Print Server (VM) (62 printers, mid-morning load - shipping/receiving print no-stop from 5 am til 9 am)

Comments

• techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Haven't tried for years now that RAM is aplenty but I remember when I 'upgraded' to Vista x86 from XP I made a very drastic difference in performance on a 2GB machine by doing a few reg tweaks. It went from regular thrashing to being about as smooth as vista can be, which isn't very smooth.

At work we had a 2003 DC with 1GB of RAM that regularly thrashed, so good job on getting yours below 600 MB. I never tried reg tweaks because I knew it was going when I started, good riddance!
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    techfiend wrote: »
    Haven't tried for years now that RAM is aplenty but I remember when I 'upgraded' to Vista x86 from XP I made a very drastic difference in performance on a 2GB machine by doing a few reg tweaks. It went from regular thrashing to being about as smooth as vista can be, which isn't very smooth.

At work we had a 2003 DC with 1GB of RAM that regularly thrashed, so good job on getting yours below 600 MB. I never tried reg tweaks because I knew it was going when I started, good riddance!

It's a 2008 R2 DC. Windows classic is force on all Windows machines by GPO. So they all don't use the Aero effect, one of the many tweaks. icon_biggrin.gif