Weird situation Have A+,S+.

thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Would it be hard for me to pass Network+? Im in the military and separating in about 2.5 weeks and would like to milk my benefits and use a free voucher to take this test. Can I pass it since i just recently passed S+ about a month ago?

Comments

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you can commit to about 30 hours of study during that time period then I think you should be able to pass it just fine. I used Mike Meyer's all in one to study for it. I've heard of people passing it using the shorter Passport book.

The first thing I would do if I were in your position is see if there is a test center available in your area. I would then book the exam as close to your last day as possible to give yourself the most time to prepare. That way you don't spend all your time studying only to go to book the exam and not have a testing time slot open.
  • thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    If you can commit to about 30 hours of study during that time period then I think you should be able to pass it just fine. I used Mike Meyer's all in one to study for it. I've heard of people passing it using the shorter Passport book.

The first thing I would do is see if I were in your position was see if there is a test center available in your area. I would then book the exam as close to your last day as possible to give yourself the most time to prepare. That way you don't spend all your time studying only to go to book the exam and not have a testing time slot open.

I believe I can, I was able to self study for s+ in about a month juggling with 40 hour work week. How is this compared to S+? Don't mean to offend anyone with the time frame just have 4 years work experience in the type of field.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How is this compared to S+?

I haven't taken the Security+ exam yet, so I wouldn't be able to tell you. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'll see a little bit of overlap (not a ton but a little) in the N+. I personally found it easier than the S+. I mainly used Professor Messer's videos. I had little networking experience and passed it only after a couple weeks of study.
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought Net+ and Security+ probably had 30% overlap. Two and a half weeks is plenty if you can commit to full-time study on weekends. I used CBT Nuggets..but you could probably get away with Messer’s videos. Check out Messer’s study guide, was worth every bit of the 10 bucks I paid for it.

Best of Luck…and welcome to freedom! I've Been out 5 years icon_cool.gif
    -Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • AggressiveProgressionAggressiveProgression Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did exactly the same thing. I passed the Sec+ before acquiring the Net+. Personally I didn't really study that hard for the Net+, many of the topics ppl find difficult OSI,ports/protocols, ect you have learn for Sec+ anyway. I felt the questions for the Sec+ were harder in general as far as the wording.
  • cyber_guycyber_guy Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would encourage you to go for your CCNA if possible, or CCENT over Network+ because I believe it holds more value. Your sec+ has DoD 8570 covered for contracting jobs.
    cyber_guy wrote: »
    I would encourage you to go for your CCNA if possible, or CCENT over Network+ because I believe it holds more value. Your sec+ has DoD 8570 covered for contracting jobs.

I dread network configuration.. So I thought network+ would suffice. In the end I plan to shift towards more Software engineering / development. Would there be a better cert to aim for? I still have my AF COOL TA which I saved and did not use which is 4500 for a specific set of certs http://imgur.com/a/AoEW3 ( check marks on the left ). I did sign up for Net+ through http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/110774-syracuse-university-institute-veterans-free-certifications-training-vets.html
  • cyber_guycyber_guy Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're going to stay out of the networking side and are just looking to get a bullet showing you know a bit about Networking, I believe Network+ is fine for you. If you were going to go network/infrastructure way I would further recommend CCENT or CCNA. You said you have AF TA, do you have any MGIB benefits? If so, that is free education gold. I'm currently using the old MGIB (ch 30) to burn up through certs and a second undergrad through WGU. It might may be worth looking at. I separated AD AF 2.5 years ago, and have been able to take full use of the education benefits since. It's been nice. Hopefully, you'll have the same experience.
    cyber_guy wrote: »
    If you're going to stay out of the networking side and are just looking to get a bullet showing you know a bit about Networking, I believe Network+ is fine for you. If you were going to go network/infrastructure way I would further recommend CCENT or CCNA. You said you have AF TA, do you have any MGIB benefits? If so, that is free education gold. I'm currently using the old MGIB (ch 30) to burn up through certs and a second undergrad through WGU. It might may be worth looking at. I separated AD AF 2.5 years ago, and have been able to take full use of the education benefits since. It's been nice. Hopefully, you'll have the same experience.

I wanted to save the post 9/11 for masters, I was currently offered a GS/Guard job and wanted to use TA for it and or other benefits available for me from the state as well.
  • cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my SEC+ before my Net +..........Net + SEEMS easier.....but they are two completely different test with two different mind states and if you arent prepared for either one you can fail......regardless of what you did on the other .....

SEC+ is a lot of theory while Net+ is more concrete and technical......I passed Net + after seriously studying about 2-3 hours per day off and on for about 3 weeks and some field experience. Sec was about the same time frame but I was putting in about 6-7 hours per day w/ no experience.....

There is SOME overlap...only SOME..