4th gen nuc & esxi 5.0

chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
I need to setup a lab to work with 5.0 and test an upgrade to 5.5

Currently I am trying to install 5.0 on my 4th gen NUC (D54250WYKH) but keep running into an error on the install at 44% saying missing file esxi net-e100.v00

I used the esxi customizer to add the drivers to a 5.0 esxi install media
Intel Driver (net-e1000e-2.3.2.x86_64.vib)
SATA Controller (sata-xahci-1.27-1.x86_64.vib)

When I do not include the Sata controller the install still fails with the same error so it seems to be the nic driver. If I do not include the nic driver it cannot find a nic.

Has anyone run into this before or have any suggestions?

Comments

• Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Follow this link and use PowerCLI to create the ISO and see if the 5.5 installation fails. My first thought would be that there is something wrong with the intel driver you are using, maybe try downloading from a different source. I used the ESXi customizer with the 5.1 install without issue 2 months ago. I just refreshed my lab creating the ISO from PowerCLI two weeks ago following the link below; same model NUC.

ESXi 5.x Installation on Intel NUC fails with “No Network Adapters” | Virten.net
  • chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    Dryst999 wrote: »
    Follow this link and use PowerCLI to create the ISO and see if the 5.5 installation fails. My first thought would be that there is something wrong with the intel driver you are using, maybe try downloading from a different source. I used the ESXi customizer with the 5.1 install without issue 2 months ago. I just refreshed my lab creating the ISO from PowerCLI two weeks ago following the link below; same model NUC.

ESXi 5.x Installation on Intel NUC fails with “No Network Adapters” | Virten.net

I tried using these methods with no success. I ended up finding a offline driver pack net-e1000e-3.1.0.2-glr2-offline_bundle.zip that resolved the issue.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    How you like the NUC for esxi so far?

I considered snagging one to run about 4 - 5 VMs on to downsize my lab footprint but I am between that and a TS140 from Lenovo.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »

Given that the thread is about a failure to install on NUC - probably not that much ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    kohr-ah wrote: »

I considered snagging one to run about 4 - 5 VMs on to downsize my lab footprint but I am between that and a TS140 from Lenovo.

So far I really like it, so much I even bought a second. Once I got the driver vib right its been super easy. Right now I have a whitebox pc (giving to a friend after my 2nd nuc comes in), nuc, N54L using Starwind for a iSCSI target, and a HP switch.

I setup a 300GB target so far and used a 128gb ssd as a local cache on both hosts. Running esxi 5.0 with vSphere and plan on a 5.5 upgrade shortly
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Given that the thread is about a failure to install on NUC - probably not that much ...

Haha, yeah I get that. On /r/homelab I always see it takes a trick or two to get it working right. I just meant when it is up and going ^_^
    jibbajabba wrote: »

Those steps worked great for 5.5 but not 5.0. It was really important for me to use 5.0 as I am testing a upgrade that I will be performing at work.

I ended up finding the vib needed named - offline driver pack net-e1000e-3.1.0.2-glr2-offline_bundle.zip
  • Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The NUC is great, i'm using it to run a nested ESXi lab for VCP studies (test in 1 week!). So far I haven't run into any issues besides the single NIC limitation. I have a 1TB SSD for internal storage, created an Openfiler VM and set it up as ISCSi for ghetto shared storage between my cluster.

If you use the vCSA there are tutorials on how to lower the memory from 8gb to 4gb which really help out since the NUC has a 16gb maximum. It's really great for the price, no performance issues.
    Dryst999 wrote: »
    The NUC is great, i'm using it to run a nested ESXi lab for VCP studies (test in 1 week!). So far I haven't run into any issues besides the single NIC limitation. I have a 1TB SSD for internal storage, created an Openfiler VM and set it up as ISCSi for ghetto shared storage between my cluster.

If you use the vCSA there are tutorials on how to lower the memory from 8gb to 4gb which really help out since the NUC has a 16gb maximum. It's really great for the price, no performance issues.

Hopefully I will be adding my 2nd nics this week. Hoping to have a better live feel with them. Found multiple people running the Syba
    sd-mpe24031 [h=1][/h]