Options

Need Guidance

kvponkshekvponkshe Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All,

Not sure this is the correct place to put this query but let me ask ...
I need some guidance . I am working as a network admin in India from last 3.5 years. Most of the work is hands on configurations on the Firewalls ,
switches etc. Now I have exp of 5.5 years in networking + 1.5 in systems & 5 years in Electronics manufacturing .icon_rolleyes.gif

I just passed the CISSP exam. Now I want to come out of the actual hands on & want to do some higher level work like governance / auditing in infosec field.
I am trying to get transfer with in my organization but it is difficult & I am not getting my expected profile as i dont have that experience .
Please suggest how I can proceed . What kind of job profile I can get with CISSP passed & networking hands on experience .Do I need to do any other certification ?
I am planning for CISA in Dec-15 as well.

Thanks in advance. Hope I have not violated in rules of this forum .

Comments

• Options
    kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My understanding is that it's a bit 'tricky' in India. It's very much a service oriented country, so you'll likely need to start knocking on the doors of some SOC's around there, and take an entry level position.
  • Options
    analystanalyst Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kalkan999 wrote: »
    My understanding is that it's a bit 'tricky' in India. It's very much a service oriented country, so you'll likely need to start knocking on the doors of some SOC's around there, and take an entry level position.

True, unless the OP wants to work for an Indian firm outside of the IT sector with customers in India or the Middle East (as opposed to US/CAN/EU).

For example, in industrials. It'll be a matter of "who you know" whether you get a shot or not.
  • Options
    riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think TS will require to join some auditing firms like PwC or KPMG and in order to break into the IT audit field.
  • Options
    kvponkshekvponkshe Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    B99101146B99101146 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You may have to linger a bit on technical side of networking due to the dynamics of Indian IT industry. Certificate assures your credibility but market does pass the final verdict. I would recommend (you may already be doing so) try asking you current management to give you opportunity to apply broader skill set. The real challenge in management type roles is that they will test your personality and how you indulge with other people especially under demanding situations so as long as you can show potential to handle it and show perseverance you will be on the right track.

On a side note: if you have a social profile on site like LinkedIn there is no harm in reaching out to receuiters and be open about your indent and motivation.