VIRL vs GNS3?

Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
So I just recently read about this new simulation program released from Cisco. For those who have tried it, how does it compare feature wise to GNS3? So far, it seems VIRL can't go more than 15 devices (GNS3 can, given the hardware support) and it cannot simulate L2 Switches (which is not a big deal). Opinions?

Comments

• d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    you can run NX OS and IOS XR on VIRL.
    Also, i've heard somewhere that they included IOS layer 2 image for VIRL.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    L2IOU was built in a couple of months ago. As for features, VIRL is way better hands down. As for initial configuration, expect more difficulty with VIRL. It's a tradeoff, but worth it if you make the investment.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • showintshowint Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello, ofWolfandMan

I'd like to ask if features not working in L2IOU are supported by VIRL or not? (e.g. DHCP Snooping, PVLAN, L2/L3 PortChannel, SPAN, VTP v.2 etc.)
  • THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting information.
    An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very awesome thanks for sharing!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    showint, if you check d4nz1g's post above, you will find all of those features are supported with the exception of SPAN and PVLAN. From memory, those are two features I don't think have been virtualized as of yet. You may need a physical box for that one. The cheapest I can recommend is stated below:

Cisco 3560 WS C3560 8PC s 8 Port Poe Switch 882658235863 | eBay
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
    d4nz1g and of WolfAndMan, thank you very much!

WolfAndMan, I could get a real gear, just one piece with installed c3550-ipbasek9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin. And I've already checked it has "monitor session" command. Will one gear be sufficient (connected to GNS3 virtual switches) to practice labs ?
    I'm not sure if PVLAN is in that image, but SPAN can be done on one box. You can do RSPAN with two, but you should only need one for now. The reason I recommended the 3560 box is because it's a layer 3 capable switch and can run IOS 15 code. 3550 is good, but depending on what cert you're going for, you'll need a layer 3 switch like the 3750 or the 3560-8PC-S. The CCNA can be accomplished with purely all virtual equipment. If you're going above that, expect to buy a few switches for certain features, unless you can memorize the commands in your head.
    ofWolfAndMan, thanks again.. for the good advice. I appreciate it. I have serious intentions to start preparing and get CCNP right after CCNA, which I accomplish soon. I watch INE CCNP videos (Brian Mcgahan and Keith Bogart's), Jeremy Ciora's videos (really good as an introduction to most topics) and even some CCIE videos (INE & IPexpert, which are really fascinating.) Currently I'm feeling a shortage of money. So friends help me on this way, some of them give me an old switch, or books or even provide me with video materials. Considering the fact that CCNA will cost around 300$ + CCNP 600$, I can only afford to buy VIRL. But at the first available opportunity I will follow your advice.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    VIRL the benefits are as stated above. You get a multitude of series of OS devices in one package (that you must login to every 7 days).

GNS3 can run NX-OS and does support L2 images but you have to do special things to get it to work. Such as get a copy of IOU and run it in GNS3 which runs on a VM in the background. You then connect in via Web Browser and upload the images but they aren't your traditional "2960" style images. They are Linux emulations of a L2 switch that lets you perform a great amount of the commands for learning.

NX-OS has to be done by running multiple VMs in the back ground of Titanium which you can then link in to GNS3 and the stability isn't the same as VIRL.

Also for VIRL if you have an .edu address or a friend with one get it that way. It brings the cost of VIRL down over 100 dollars.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    showint wrote: »
    Hello, ofWolfandMan

I'd like to ask if features not working in L2IOU are supported by VIRL or not? (e.g. DHCP Snooping, PVLAN, L2/L3 PortChannel, SPAN, VTP v.2 etc.)

I just purchased VIRL so I'm still waiting for the image download instructions from Cisco. I will let you know in a few days if the above work or not. I got VIRL as an upgrade to Boson so I'm hoping the above do work as I'm in late-stage preparation for SWITCH and need hands-on practice.