New Tablet

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
Finally decided to upgrade my original Kindle to a 10" tablet. I'm starting to read a lot of pdfs with graphics & charts and converting pdf to ebook format usually destroys them. Also my company offers subscription to Safari books online. Trying to read them on the Kindle was an exercise in frustration.

I ended up purchasing this: Amazon.com : Dragon Touch A1X Plus 10.1" Quad Core Tablet PC Google Android 4.4.2 KitKat, 1GB RAM, 16GB Nand Flash, Built-in Bluetooth GPS, HDMI, Google Play Pre-installed, Dual Camera, 3D Game Supported, 2015 New Model [ by TabletExpress ] : Compute. It's a lowend tablet, but my requirements aren't high.
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's nice it is expandable with the SD card, I have a ton of PDFs and comic books on my iPad. My only concern would be security updates but you might be able to root it and load Cyanogen on it.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    you might be able to root it and load Cyanogen on it.
    Why would he want to make half the features on the tablet not work every other update ;D
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Why would he want to make half the features on the tablet not work every other update ;D

Vanilla AOSP FTW!!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very nice Dave
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    dave330i wrote: »

That is pretty cheap. Let us know how it goes after some time with it. I hate reading books on a computer, this could be a viable option.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    In our home, we have 2 Kindles, a 10" android, an Ipad, 2 4" phones, 2 Desktops and 4 laptops, I can read what I need to read anywhere in my house, oopps forgot the 46" smart TV and the Smart Blu ray with USB input, I can read anything anywhere with no problems at all. That said, most(99.9) of my reading gets done on my Kindle.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Got the tablet over the weekend. It's great for home use. It's too big to use on the metro. Need to get an 8".
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Glad to hear it is well :)
    8" I have been very happy with an nVidia Shield Tablet but I am not sure if you want to spend that kind of money
  • asmills85asmills85 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not bad for the price, I'm interested to see how it holds up.