Officially Accepted to WGU Masters Program!

JohnLJohnL Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got a call from my enrollment counselor today and I have been officially accepted into the masters program at WGU in Information Security and Assurance. July is already full so I start on August 1st and I can't wait!! I'll probably being watching cybrary.it videos, learn python and work as much as I can in Linux. August can't come soon enough.icon_cheers.gif
B.B.A. in Finance - 2007
A.A.S. in Computer Networking & System Administration - 2014
M.S. Information Security and Assurance - 2016
CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, CEH, CHFI, CCNA: Routing & Switching
Working on CISSP

Comments

• TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Good on you. I started my application and should talk to the counselor tomorrow. Just waiting on my transcripts to come.n the mail and we'll see where this goes. I'm applying to the same program
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    JohnL wrote: »
    cybrary.it videos

I was unfamiliar with this site. How do you like it? I might check it out
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • JohnLJohnL Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! So far Mike I like the site. It has a lot of courses that are available and constantly adding more. The site says that when you complete each course that they are worth X number of CEUs but the acceptance of them would be up to the governing authority.
    B.B.A. in Finance - 2007
    Working on CISSP
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I have my MSISA from WGU, you may not want to focus on linux and cybray as much as ITIL, NIST, COBIT and security policies! There are classes on Security policies, cryptography, ethical hacking and forensics as well as many others
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
    Nelson, how long did it take you to knock out the MSISA? What courses did you find were difficult?
    -TSB-
  • jamesenglishjamesenglish Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats! Can't wait to do my Masters.
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats,

I graduated in 2012 from WGU with my MSISA... it took me two years but I wasn't in a rush and I spent my last semester focused solely on my Capstone.

Mentor: Good
    Taskstream: PITA
    Capstone and Oral Defense: Great
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    Mentor: Good
    Taskstream: PITA
    Capstone and Oral Defense: Great

As a recent grad, I would agree with this assessment. I think figuring out what the Taskstream graders were looking for was the hardest part
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nelson, how long did it take you to knock out the MSISA? What courses did you find were difficult?
    -TSB-

Well I'm kind of an odd case.. It took me 7 weeks total to get my MSISA. I think the same as many others have stated, VLT and VUT, not because they were necessarily difficult it was just kind of tedious and a subject I wasn't very familiar with, afterwards though I am happy I gained the experience and knowledge in those subjects as they directly relate to my field.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • asmills85asmills85 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Do those of you who have received your Masters feel it was worth it? Would you still choose WGU if you had it to do all over again?
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going to go for a MSISA. I recently got approved for the program. Has anyone sat for CISSP right after finishing the program? Just curious at how well this MS program actually prepares for CISSP. I know you take CEH/CHFI during the course work. But finishing and being ready for CISSP as well would be awesome.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
    I'm studying for the CISSP as well, in hopes to having it approve me for the program. I've been doing various forms of IA for the past 4 years. Question: do you have a CCNA or what? My enrollment counselor said that I will require CCNA or CISSP to enroll.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My enrollment counselor said that I will require CCNA or CISSP to enroll.

Does that seem weird to anyone else since they are totally different certifications?
    It did to me as well. I'm working on a resume that I will send to their admissions folk, in addition to my transcripts for their review. From their site for admission requirements to the MS ISA: Possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution.
    Demonstrate IT security experience through at least one of the following three methods:
    • Have earned a bachelor’s degree in IT security or IT networking that covers at least two CISSP CBK domains. (You can find the domains listed here.)
    • Hold a CISSP, CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, or GCWN certification that was earned within the last five years.
    • Submit a resume for review showing recent significant IT security experience, of at least three years, which demonstrates at least two CISSP CBK domains.
  • JohnLJohnL Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes Trance, I recently got my CCNA because that was the qualification that would take the least amount of time for me. I got my bachelors way back in 2007 so all I needed to do was get my CCNA and I got in. I spoke with colemic, i work with him, and he suggested that I study for my CEH since I don't start until August which is a great idea and that is what i'm doing now.
    B.B.A. in Finance - 2007
    Working on CISSP