UCS 8.5 and ESXi 5.0

cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
Hi T.E.

So I am having some serious trouble trying to get my lab built. I have been using VMWare Workstation 10 for a little while, and while it works - it is intermittent and unreliable.

I have ESXi 5.0 installed on my host machine (bare metal), I have deployed the CUCM 8.5 OVA template, pointed the CD/DVD drive to the bootable IOS file in the ESXi Datastore... but it refuses to boot! Continues to post the following:

Network boot from AMD Am79C970A
Operating System not found

I have used this very same ISO to install CUCM in workstation and it worked fine. My nic is an Intel with the appropriate e1000 drivers.

Initially I had ESXi 6.0 installed and I was getting the same message and thought that it was just not supported on 6.0 but I know it is supported on 5.0.

Does anyone have any experience with this???? Any ideas / help? It's really starting to cheese me off because I find that I am wasting time trying to get this installed when I should be labbing out the concepts for my exams icon_twisted.gif

EDIT: I have tried booting into the BIOS and setting CD/DVD as the boot priority but this does not work either.

Comments

• ITDadITDad Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there,

Hope this will answer your troubleicon_smile.gif See this video from 01:50 minute.... https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/videos/1624

Ps. I will be installing mine this week.. EXI 5.5 and will be using CUCM 9.1x...

Thanks
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice find on the video! Interesting - I've never encountered that but then again I've always used LSI SCSI settings.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Thanks for the link. Great info.

I tried the tips included, and I use the OVA etc etc all the supported setting and I still cannot get it to boot. icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

@pitvipe - I use the "LSI Parallel" settings and no luck for me.. I havn't tried the "LSI SAS" option

for those that have completed CCNP Voice, will version 8.6 be ok to use as a substitute??

Alos does anyone know what the UCS version that is used in CCNP Collab? I can only assume that it is 9.1 to align with CCIE Collab v1.

Thanks.
    Hi Cisco_nerd,

I am remember reading some vmware discussion forum that the ESXi has to be an ISO format as well. So, if your ESXi is not an ISO format, try changing it
    ITDad wrote: »
    Hi Cisco_nerd,

I am remember reading some vmware discussion forum that the ESXi has to be an ISO format as well. So, if your ESXi is not an ISO format, try changing it

Hi ITDAD, I don't quite follow what you mean? Are you referring to the ESXi host ISO?
    Sorry, I am getting sleepyicon_smile.gif

Yes, I meant the ESXi Host

Thanks
    how is it mean to be in an ISO format when it is installed on the bare metal machine?

could you please elaborate / explain?

Thanks.
    I am assuming you used bootable CD/DVD to install your ESXi on the bare mental. If that is the case, the downloaded vmware ESXi has to be ISO format.

See if this article helps..

Get Started with ESXi with VMware vSphere 5.5 Hypervisor

Check the 1st post and post 10: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/406783?start=0&tstart=0

I hope this won't confuse you more
    I only deal with .iso files. ESXi was installed from an .iso mounted on a USB as bootable with updated NIC drivers. Same way I have installed 5.1, 5.5, and 6.0 hosts.

I don't believe the issue lies with ESXi but the UCS files.
    I don't know what else to tell you other than to recreate your UCS ISO, using different program, like ultra.

Thanks
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Try burning and booting from the install disk in your desktop PC - just to see if it boots.

Also, there used to be multiple versions of the OVA templates – make sure it says “vmv8” for ESX 5.x
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    pitviper wrote: »
    Try burning and booting from the install disk in your desktop PC - just to see if it boots.

Also, there used to be multiple versions of the OVA templates – make sure it says “vmv8” for ESX 5.x

I just tested this and I can boot into the CUCM installation on my laptop from a bootable USB.

As for OVA - i'm using "cucm_8.5_vmv8_2.1.ova". VM v8 is the correct OVF for ESXi 5.x

Repeatedly though in the ESXi console it just reports back that no Operating System was found. I have tried both with deploying the OVF and setting up a custom VM using RHEL 4 x86. For some reason it defaults to network book, even if I force boot into BIOS and tell it to boot from the virtual CDROM which is mapped to the ISO in the Datastore.

I have tried to get it to boot from client device as well as host but same as above. I have search for other forums / tutorials etc that have the VM settings and have replicated them in my testing.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know this is an older post and probably has been resolved already but is the image bootable? That message is common when an non bootable iso is used. You've mentioned its for a lab and I know many of the cucm iso's floating around online are not bootable so you would have to make that file bootable to be recognized.