FLG or OCG?

The Reluctant LoserThe Reluctant Loser Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I have a very straight-froward question for you all. Which books do you recommend and why?

The Foundation Learning Guide?
or
The Official Cert Guide?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Usually depends on where you are as far as the knowledge needed to pass the exam. The FLGs are more aimed at the people learning from the bottom. The OCG is more for the people reviewing for the exam. Both don't hurt if you have the money. Go through the FLG first then review before the exam with the OCG.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    I would say FLG and Simplified series (not sure if they still publish these for the new CCNP but I used these for the old exams) great books.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    I would say FLG and Simplified series (not sure if they still publish these for the new CCNP but I used these for the old exams) great books.

+1 for this.
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • verbhertzverbhertz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »
    I've been waiting for the FLG to be released but unfortunately it got pushed back to a release of Jun 22 icon_sad.gif
    http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-Foundation-Learning-Library/dp/1587144395/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432131998&sr=8-2&keywords=ccnp+foundation

I have the collection preordered from Cisco Press and I think their date is June 12.
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    $150!! Geez! Then again it's both routing and switching with 2000+ pages. That's definitely a read!

Debating to get that book or CCIE level to stay sharp on my R&S stuff. I already have a crap ton to read for the DC discipline, but got to keep that R&S rock solid.

#READCISCOUNTILYOUDIE
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • prdemonprdemon Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    $150!! Geez! Then again it's both routing and switching with 2000+ pages. That's definitely a read!

Debating to get that book or CCIE level to stay sharp on my R&S stuff. I already have a crap ton to read for the DC discipline, but got to keep that R&S rock solid.

#READCISCOUNTILYOUDIE
    yeah that price is crazy bro! thinking ill wait till the price drops a bit.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Usually depends on where you are as far as the knowledge needed to pass the exam. The FLGs are more aimed at the people learning from the bottom. The OCG is more for the people reviewing for the exam. Both don't hurt if you have the money. Go through the FLG first then review before the exam with the OCG.

I remember reading something to this effect somewhere on a Cisco website, but I don't think it's true in practice. I read both the OCG and FLG for Route and they were more or less the same in terms depth. The FLGs are the course material for the Cisco Net Academy CCNP classes and the OCG is supposed to be for the general public, but they both cover the same material. There's a similar thing going on with the CCNA exams where you can get special Net Academy books, but I haven't seen people talk about them vs. the CCNA OCG.
  • esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gonna get the FLG set (3 books instead of the libarary) and there is a 55% off on ciscopress.com for 3 or more items.
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • The Reluctant LoserThe Reluctant Loser Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »
    I've been waiting for the FLG to be released but unfortunately it got pushed back to a release of Jun 22 icon_sad.gif
    http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-Foundation-Learning-Library/dp/1587144395/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432131998&sr=8-2&keywords=ccnp+foundation

Doesn't this just apply to the Complete 3 book package? I bought the books individually and they're all updated for the new exam.
    Doesn't this just apply to the Complete 3 book package? I bought the books individually and they're all updated for the new exam.

Well crap. I was wondering that, as I looked up the books individually and they are recently published. Looks look I should cancel my order and buy all 3 separately. Should save more with the buy 3 or more discount as well.
  • esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    verbhertz wrote: »
    Well crap. I was wondering that, as I looked up the books individually and they are recently published. Looks look I should cancel my order and buy all 3 separately. Should save more with the buy 3 or more discount as well.

You should do that, got mine for $107 (including shipping fee) but I might have to add some cash once it arrives.
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
    I have the collection preordered from Cisco Press and I think their date is June 12.

Thanks! I did not know that. Going to order from them then.
    I feel like Dummy now, didn't know they were released individually. Going to order all 3 separately with the discount.

Also it looks like the SWITCH Lab manual was released just 2 days ago! Been waiting for that one as well CCNP SWITCH Lab Manual, 2nd Edition
    Anyone with yhr updated SWITCH FLG have the correct review answers for chapter 2? The answers in the back of the book simply cannot be right.
    Anyone with yhr updated SWITCH FLG have the correct review answers for chapter 2? The answers in the back of the book simply cannot be right.

I just got my book today and just finished reading Chapter 2. The answers in the Appendix are wrong on mine as well. And not just a couple, they're all wrong it seems.
    I submitted that piece of errata to cisco press. Also there were a lot of typos in general leading up to chapter 3. The book is so new I'm no sure where to look for the correct answers.
    I submitted that piece of errata to cisco press. Also there were a lot of typos in general leading up to chapter 3. The book is so new I'm no sure where to look for the correct answers.

I'm on Chapter 5 now and noticed the typos as well but they weren't that big of a deal to me. Overall, I like this book better than the OCG. Maybe it's the different writing styles of the authors and I like this one better or maybe it's because I'm reading this after the OCG.

networker050184 recommended to read the FLG first and then OCG, and I did it in reverse because of release dates. Overall I'm really satisfied with the FLG.
    My plan was read FLG, watch Chris Bryant's videos, and then brush up again on FLG before exam. With liberal labbing mixed in. I'm thinking of a global knowledge course on switch also, since its my employers dime. I could get OCG also if I determined it would be beneficial. I read both Lammle and Odom for CCNA and that was helpful.
    My plan was read FLG, watch Chris Bryant's videos, and then brush up again on FLG before exam. With liberal labbing mixed in. I'm thinking of a global knowledge course on switch also, since its my employers dime. I could get OCG also if I determined it would be beneficial. I read both Lammle and Odom for CCNA and that was helpful.

If the employer is paying for it, sure, why not? I'd get the OCG! Like you, I also read Odom and Lammle. My plan is similar. I'm doing the FLG, Jeremy Ciora CBT videos, Labs from Boson/Cisco, CCNP SWITCH Simplified, and finally the OCG a 2nd time around. That's a lot of different sources and that's how I like it. I'd rather do it this way and over-study than have to take the exam a second time.
    Sounds like you've got a good plan. I could get CBT Nuggets too but in the interest of time, just use Bryant's videos. I didn't see an updated version of CCNP SWITCH Simplified - does such a beast exist?
    Sounds like you've got a good plan. I could get CBT Nuggets too but in the interest of time, just use Bryant's videos. I didn't see an updated version of CCNP SWITCH Simplified - does such a beast exist?

I don't think so. It's still the same book from 2011 but it's still a good book.