Where to Start?

MrPieMan82MrPieMan82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm finishing up my CCNA certification, and I'm nearly ready to test for ICND2. As I'm doing that, I'm looking to get things set up so that I can become an MCSE before the year is up.

I've been looking around this forum, but there seems to be a lot that can be used for these tests, as opposed to CCNA materials, where a lot of the same stuff is suggested again and again.

What resources do I need?

I have CBT Nuggets for 70-410R2, 70-411R2 and 70-640. Also have a small pocket command book on Powershell. I'm also in the process of getting a server and setting it up with Windows Server 2012 R2 and other things, so I can have hands-on experience.

What else do I need to look at getting my hands on?

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Doing the 5 tests for the MCSE in 5 months is a pretty aggressive goal, but more power to you if you can nail it! You're going to need a book source to go with the video training and lab. Either of these: MCSA 70-410 Cert Guide or MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Installation and Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-410 .
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • MrPieMan82MrPieMan82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Doing the 5 tests for the MCSE in 5 months is a pretty aggressive goal, but more power to you if you can nail it! You're going to need a book source to go with the video training and lab. Either of these: MCSA 70-401 Cert Guide or MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Installation and Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-410 .

It might sound like a lot, but I think I can do it. I've been looking back and forth at the "90 Days to MCSA" thread. I actually don't even have any responsibilities. I'm not working at this moment either, though I'm in discussions with several companies, and when I do accept an offer, I'll be working with some of this stuff. Having all this empty time, I think I can make it happen by January 1st of 2016.
  • bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    I agree with JoJo... 5 months is extremely aggressive for the MCSE that is 5 months and 5 tests. I am only saying this because I want you not to be discouraged at the task at hand and we both want to see you complete the MCSE. Whenever I prepare for an examine in a short time, I create a spreadsheet of the hours of the day. I block out sleep, work, then family time, I then create a plan to study on the hours that I have nothing obligating me and create milestones; like chapters in a book. Hopefully this planning will help you with your certification goals, a little bit of planning goes a long way! Good luck and keep the group updated with your progress, we are here to help you along the way.

Jon

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel