RAID on Security+

jeg92jeg92 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have taken the Security+ exam twice now. Last time I took it, I scored a 730. I am set to take it again on the 13th. Each time I have taken the exam, I have gotten a productivity question relating to RAID. However, I haven't found any good sources to explain RAID and would really like to have a good understanding of it going in to the exam this time-- this question could be the difference between pass and fail for me. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good source for learning more about RAID configurations? Thank you!

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What type of Security+ study material(s) are you using to prepare for this exam?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    What exactly do you need to understand about RAID?
  • jeg92jeg92 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    What type of Security+ study material(s) are you using to prepare for this exam?

I took a class with New Horizons and I have measureUp questions through them. After taking the first exam, I purchased Daril Gibson's questions after seeing them recommended here (I only had 48 hours between exams, did get much time with those questions that time around- I have a job offer contingent on this exam and was originally set to start June 1st). I have the Sybex book that I have read. Since the second fail, I have been focusing primarily on the Daril Gibson questions. I understand most concepts pretty well, just trying to sharpen my knowledge with practice questions. Any advice on other things to check out?
  • jeg92jeg92 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tmcg wrote: »
    What exactly do you need to understand about RAID?

I'm not sure I can tell you EXACTLY what I'm looking for because it might give too much test info. But I just need to know some basic information on RAID and striped vs. mirrored. The google link a PP gave me actually helped quite a bit.. I was googling RAID specific to the exam, not RAID in general (duh). There is one specific part of the question that I still completely don't understand, but I can't remember it enough to ask... If it comes to me, I'll let you know :/
    jeg92 wrote: »
    I took a class with New Horizons and I have measureUp questions through them. After taking the first exam, I purchased Daril Gibson's questions after seeing them recommended here (I only had 48 hours between exams, did get much time with those questions that time around- I have a job offer contingent on this exam and was originally set to start June 1st). I have the Sybex book that I have read. Since the second fail, I have been focusing primarily on the Daril Gibson questions. I understand most concepts pretty well, just trying to sharpen my knowledge with practice questions. Any advice on other things to check out?

You can purchase an app on android from Learnzapp it's has practice questions, flash cards and mock exams. In the UK it costs about £7.30 and people swear by it, also the questions, material etc are by Darril Gibson.

For Raid you can download another app called Quizlet, within that search "RAID" this will provide you with flashcards on the subject which are fantastic for memorization. Any other help just drop me a message

By the way, you can use Quizlet for Security+ flash cards to go over ports, protocols etc. I believe both apps are across both mobile platforms.
    How did your exam go?
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Guys,
    it sounds like jeg92 is asking for advice on a (hypothetical) RAID performance-question.
    He has failed the exam twice... and has identified it as an area of struggle.

Allow me to shed some (hypothetical) light so that Everyone can chime-in and help him out:
    For the performance question, they are asking about RAID 0, 1, 5, and 6.
    They ask how many drives (minimum) are needed for each configuration. (ie, RAID-1 requires 2 two drives, Raid-5 requires 3, etc).
    They ask which raid-configurations use 'striped' drives, and which use 'mirrorred' drives.
    They also ask about Parity for each configuration.

jeg92,
    730 is pretty close to the pass score.
    But i wouldn't worry tooo much about Raid; i don't recall it being asked anywhere else on the test (although my memory has gotten hazy over 2 months). Go Buy Gibson's book, and read it to "fill in the gaps".
    Also, Gibson has an $8 android app with Even more Qs (the GooglePlay reviews are Favorable).

Personally, i felt the SY0-401 was a clusterf#ck.
    I studied with Prof Messer & Gibson's premium gcga Qs... but the questions on the exam were Out-of-Left-Field and POORLY worded (on Purpose, i felt).
    I found myself changing my answers SEVERAL times on some of the questions (and i NEVER do that when taking these Exams).

I'm going to stop now..... getting angry again....(hypothetically speaking, of course)
  • diewalkurediewalkure Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, the 401 exam is a mess. I have taken it once and I thought I was taking the Network + exam by doing a lot of network configuration.