Study method for people with networking knowledge/experience

mimirmimir Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need the Net+ and I do fairly well on practice exams, but there's some topics (like the OSI model) that I need to study. I don't want a book that goes super in depth, or a video series, but ideally something that reviews each topic with what you need to know for the exam. Any suggestions on the best option? I used Exam Cram back when I did the A+, but I found it tended to have errors and was poorly written. The TechNotes PDF here appears to be 3 versions out of date so I don't know if I should use that either.

Comments

• nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE

I LOVE the Professor Messer series on YouTube. N10-005 is retiring end of August and being replaced by the N10-006. Make sure to search on YouTube for the version that you'll be testing on. I also like Quizlet.com. There are lots of practice tests on there for the 005 and 006.

Good luck!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Download a copy of the objectives and review the material listed. If you know it well, move onto the areas where you may not know as well and spend your time on those.

What text are you using?

Exam Cram
    Passport

Would be your abbreviated study tools

Sybex
    Meyers

For more indepth study, which you state you do not want to go into.

Many folks simply create their own study journal based on the objectives. fFrankly, that would be the quickest and the most economical.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • mimirmimir Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE

I LOVE the Professor Messer series on YouTube. N10-005 is retiring end of August and being replaced by the N10-006. Make sure to search on YouTube for the version that you'll be testing on. I also like Quizlet.com. There are lots of practice tests on there for the 005 and 006.

Good luck!

Thank you! I remember using Messer for A+, he was really good. It's a nice service he runs.
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Download a copy of the objectives and review the material listed. If you know it well, move onto the areas where you may not know as well and spend your time on those.

What text are you using?

Exam Cram
    Passport

Would be your abbreviated study tools

Sybex
    Meyers

For more indepth study, which you state you do not want to go into.

Many folks simply create their own study journal based on the objectives. fFrankly, that would be the quickest and the most economical.

Ok thanks, that's what I was wondering, and it makes pretty good sense. I'll check out Passport, I've had good experience with Mike Myers before and it has high reviews.
  • detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Prof messer 005/006 yt bids, labsims, and deluxe edition comptia 006 cert guide is what I use its phenominallll
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Easiest and most effective model for learning the OSI model is to draw your 7 layers out on Visio, nothing too complicated. From there start adding a little more detail every day until you have it down so well your drawing from scratch - in your sleep.

Also I HIGHLY recommend studying in 20 minute segments. Taking a break. Think about what you just read/practice. Go back to studying for the next 20 minutes. You'd be surprised how retention you'll have after 20 rather than 60 without a quick break and thought.

- b/eads