Hello i'm new, my problem

G manG man Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Im from Spain, and I took my undergraduate degree as a Technical Engineering in Computer Management (I don't know how that translates in to the U.S., but it's something a bit lower than Computer Science).

I haven't found a job for the next two years in the IT field and i'm already 27 (unemployment is pretty bad in Spain).

So I have decided to further my studies and to specialize in the Security field, (and I didn't touch anything related to Security in my undergrad) so I have no idea about it, so was thinking on getting a Master degree in Information Security.

However, I was also thinking in getting many certifications, as that adds a plus on your resume, and gives you useful knowledge.

So, to the point : I was thinking of getting my A+ at the same time Im doing the Master, and then after finishing both go for the Security+ or even go directly to the CCENT/CCNA, and after that I would go to CCNA Sec.

I have not tought about other security certs like CISSP, CEH, etc. as those require working experience.

What to you guys think ? Please give me your opinion, Thank you very much.

Comments

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you considered working in Germany? I heard they have a shortage of technology workers, that would potentially be a way to get some experience and then it might be easier to find a job in Spain with the experience under your belt.
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, I think having a degree is already a great start. I don't think that achieving a Masters degree will give you all that extra edge. In IT we all have to start at the bottom, does not matter what level of degree you have to be honest.

The masters degree however, will come in handy if you're looking to move into management roles later in your career.

My advice would be to continue to look for jobs and perhaps focus more on entry level certifications to get you started, rather than pursuing a masters degree.
  • G manG man Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Have you considered working in Germany? I heard they have a shortage of technology workers, that would potentially be a way to get some experience and then it might be easier to find a job in Spain with the experience under your belt.
    Yes, i've considered that possibility, however I have no idea of german language, I could only work in english speaking companies, and I didn't find anything with my profile, it was all experienced jobs, and well my oral skills in english are not that good.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    You already got a degree in CIT, dont need A+.
    CCNA and Sec+ would be a great start to start trying some jobs.
    Have you checked en las canarias? Volunteering to get some experience?
    Do you have experience? It says youre 27, what were you doing before?

Exito
    meh
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    You already got a degree in CIT, dont need A+.
    CCNA and Sec+ would be a great start to start trying some jobs.
    Have you checked en las canarias? Volunteering to get some experience?
    Do you have experience? It says youre 27, what were you doing before?

Exito
    During this time I have been doing interviews and sending resume to plenty of companies, with no results. I also obtained my language certificates in English and French. Also did some short online courses, web programming, Android, but I want now to direct my career into the security field, that appeals more to me.
    TheProf wrote: »
    Personally, I think having a degree is already a great start. I don't think that achieving a Masters degree will give you all that extra edge. In IT we all have to start at the bottom, does not matter what level of degree you have to be honest.

The masters degree however, will come in handy if you're looking to move into management roles later in your career.

My advice would be to continue to look for jobs and perhaps focus more on entry level certifications to get you started, rather than pursuing a masters degree.
    What entry level certifications would you recommend ? Does the Sec+ qualify as entry-level certification ? Isn't a background in security needed ?
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Security+ is an entry level cert for a security professional, but it's not an entry cert if you've never worked in IT. I guess, the main point I want to get across is that we all have to start at the beginning by learning how computers and networks work. For that, A+ and Network+ are a good starting point.

Both A+ and Network+ will give you a good foundation where you can start focusing on the security.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your language certificates should give you some kind of leg up in Europe. I would look at joining a networking social group as well as seeking out work for either United Nations, Red Cross, World Food Program or NATO.
    Ok, thanks for your opinions. So far, I think im gonna pass the A+ and go directly for Net+ and then Sec+ (then CCNA). BUT, here are the For and Against of taking the A+ :

For :
    - It gives you a good foundation
    - Helps getting your first IT job

Against :
    - Having a degree in IT the A+ is not necessary